The Cline Library offers a number of spaces that help the NAU community learn, design, create, and share their academic and personal projects. The MakerLab provides tools, equipment, and services for the creation of microelectronics, 3D models, and other maker projects. The Studios includes a high-end computing lab with advanced engineering and multimedia production software, as well as a set of seven creation studios that support photography, graphic design, audio and video production, and the development of extended reality experiences.
Rules & Regulations Accordion Closed
Library equipment, including 3D printers, recording equipment, virtual reality headsets, and other items, may only be used for lawful purposes. No one is permitted to create material or engage in conduct that is:
- Prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
- Prohibited by Arizona Board of Regents (ABOR) or NAU policy including, but not limited to:
- NAU Weapons Policy. You may request an exception to the NAU Weapons Policy. Library staff will not print objects that are considered weapons, or simulated weapons, without an approved exception. If you have an approved exception, please contact the library at 928-523-6820 to arrange to have your item printed.
- Network Acceptable Use Policy
- NAU Student Handbook
- Unsafe, harmful, dangerous, or poses an immediate threat to the well-being of others.
- In violation of another’s intellectual property rights. For example, you cannot reproduce material subject to copyright, patent, or trademark protection. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a printing/copying/scanning order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright or other intellectual property laws.
- For primarily commercial purposes. Cline Library is prohibited by ABOR policy 1-105 and Arizona Revised Statute 41-2752 from competing with private enterprise.
Programs & Events Accordion Closed
The primary purpose of the Cline Library’s creation spaces is to provide access for NAU and CCC affiliates to develop their personal and academic projects. As such, we do not reserve the MakerLab or Studios for exclusive use by a particular group. Groups are welcome to hold events in the MakerLab, but the room will remain open for others to use as well. Exceptions to this policy will be made on a limited, case-by-case basis for events that directly support the mission and purpose of the MakerLab and Studios.
Due to physical distancing guidelines, the Cline Library is not currently supporting in-person programs or events. If you would like to discuss opportunities for virtual programs or events, please complete our Programming Request Form to discuss your needs with library staff.
Resources for Faculty Accordion Closed
The Cline Library is committed to assisting NAU and CCC faculty and staff by supporting multimedia, extended reality, and maker-related assignments and by providing space orientations, workshops, and programming. If you would like to partner with the library on a program for your class or organization, please complete our Programming Request Form to discuss your needs with library staff. You can also explore our Creating at Cline guide to view our collection of training resources.
Additionally, faculty and staff can request to use speedchart numbers toward MakerLab 3D print requests. Use our 3D Printing Allotment Request form to add your class, club, or department. For more information, visit our FAQ for a step-by-step guide.
In general, 3D print jobs are processed in the they are order received. During periods of heavy use (such as Reading and Finals Weeks), class assignments and other items being printed for academic purposes will be prioritized over non-academic jobs. Please be mindful of due dates and be sure to give students enough time to complete their print request. If there are problems with a model, it may take multiple days before the print can be completed.
Faculty and staff can view their allotment accounts and users eligible to use their speedchart number by visiting My Allotment Account.