Media requested through Course Reserves is changing servers. If the Course Reserves staff at Cline Library have digitized videos for your Bb Learn course, they have saved these videos on the Cline Flash Media Server. Over time, they have moved many of these videos to Kaltura, which is a media streaming server that works within Bb Learn. If you have any videos that are linked from the Cline Flash Server, these videos will break on May 18, 2018.
If your course contains any Flash media, or if you don’t know if your content is on Kaltura yet, then please contact Course Reserves about getting your media updated or follow these instructions:
Updating Video Content in Bb Learn
Please be aware that Flash is no longer a supported technology, and as a result the Flash Media Server where Cline Library video content was previously being kept is set to expire on May 18, 2018. Any videos you have been using that were stored on this streaming server will no longer work after the May 2018 expiration date.
The Kaltura Video Platform is NAU’s new solution for delivering video content through your Bb Learn courses.
If you are still using Flash media content (or unsure how to tell if your videos use Flash, then please visit our instructions for Replacing Your Old Flash Videos.
Do you just need instructions for finding new content in the Kaltura video platform? Then please visit our instructions for Adding Kaltura Videos in Bb Learn.
Replacing Your Old Flash Videos:
Do you plan to copy content from a previous course shell? If so, please make sure any Flash content gets replaced with the more stable and “permanent” Kaltura videos.
If you build a new course from scratch, then please be aware that videos need to be added from the Kaltura video platform and not copied from older class shells.
The easiest way to see if a file needs to be replaced is to see if it has a thumbnail image. If it has the thumbnail image, then it is probably a Kaltura video. The old Flash videos did not have thumbnails.
You can also highlight a video by positioning your cursor over it (but not clicking on it!), and the URL that shows up at the bottom of your browser will tell you if the item is in Kaltura.
Once you discover which items need to be replaced, then there are two options for replacing the old Flash content.
- You can add Kaltura videos yourself. Skip ahead to Adding Kaltura Videos in Bb Learn.
- Point us to the course and the folder/module where your old Flash videos appear, and we will help you with the replacements. Email Course Reserves with the course and folder/module information.
If you choose to replace the videos yourself, don’t forget to delete the old files after you have added the new ones.
Adding Kaltura Videos in Bb Learn:
- Go to the folder in Bb Learn where a video you want to add a video.
- Make sure Edit Mode is set to “ON.” (You must be a designer in the course.)
- Choose Kaltura Media from the Build Content menu.
- Switch to the Shared Repository tab.
- Use the Search Media box to search for the video by title, library call number, instructor’s last name or course abbreviation (e.g. ES 150).
- Click Select next to the video you want to add.
- Give the video a Title.
- If this is a replacement, don’t forget to Delete the old file after you have added the new one.
Are you looking for videos that have not been added to the Kaltura shared repository?
Request new Digitized Streaming Media through the Request Course Reserves Form.