Information for school groups
While our primary purpose is to serve the students and faculty of Northern Arizona University, we invite school groups (grades 8-12) to visit through a general tour or targeted instruction session. We encourage you to prepare an assignment or focused learning outcomes when visiting the Cline Library.
Supervision of school groups is required—one adult should be present for every 15 students. The chaperones assume responsibility for the behavior and activities of the students during their visit to Cline Library.
Please consult with your local public library for tours for grades K-7.
Schedule your visit Accordion Closed
Contact us at least two weeks in advance to schedule your visit. Be flexible in your date preferences; we will try to accommodate specific dates, but may need to make alternative arrangements. Avoid scheduling during peak periods of the academic semester which include the first three weeks and the last two weeks of each semester. We are unable to accommodate tour groups during the End of Semester and Finals Weeks during the fall and spring semesters. See current Enrollment Calendar for key semester dates and NAU holidays.
Provide the following details in your message:
- Name of your school
- Grade level
- Name of the class
- Number of students (please keep groups to 25 students or fewer)
- Cline Library resources and services you anticipate using
Be prepared to discuss your class assignment so that librarians may design a strong learning experience for your students.
Computer & electronic resources Accordion Closed
- Librarians can lead a hands-on research instruction session in a computer lab that seats up to 22 students.
- We offer 5 computers for guest use. Individuals under 18 may request a Guest user account with a valid identification and a parent or guardian present. The guest account provides up to one hour of computer access per day.
Borrower information Accordion Closed
- A parent or guardian with a current and valid Arizona photo ID indicating residency may apply for a minor community borrower account at the Main Desk.
- Print, complete, sign, and bring the authorization form with you to the Main Desk.
- The parent or guardian assumes responsibility for all materials checked out by the minor as well as any fines that may result.
- Teachers, counselors, teacher’s aides, or principals may not substitute for a parent or guardian.
Intellectual freedom Accordion Closed
We are an academic library with a strong intellectual freedom policy supporting research in a wide range of topics. As school administrators and teachers, you need to be aware of our policy regarding intellectual freedom:
Cline Library does not restrict, monitor, censor, or deny access to any library materials or information, including the Internet, for any library patron, regardless of age or on the basis of content. We are committed to the level of freedom of expression and access to information characteristic of a university library.
A principal or administrator must sign a release form prior to the scheduled student visit. Please print out this form on school letterhead, sign, and fax back to 928-523-3770 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.