The Learning Studio
The Cline Library’s Learning Studio (Room 249) is a highly configurable, advanced technology classroom designed to support student-centered learning. The Learning Studio seats 70 and includes over 2300 square feet of space. Equipment and other features support active learning, group work, and the seamless use of personal devices.
How can I use it? Accordion Open
The Learning Studio is first and foremost a classroom. Classes will be scheduled in the Learning Studio based on enrollment size (generally > 50) and demonstrated need for the design of the room and available technology. To request the Learning Studio for your regularly scheduled classes, please contact your department’s class scheduler.
The Learning Studio may also be booked for university events outside of regularly scheduled classes by members of the NAU community if there is a demonstrated need for the design of the room and available technology.
What technology is in the room? Accordion Closed
The Learning Studio offers an array of technologies controlled with an easy-to-use interface. Features include seating and laptops for 70 students, an 85” 4K display plus two projection screens, fixed and mobile tables for flexible group work, writable glass, videoconferencing, and support for personal devices.
Instructors can log in to a lectern computer or connect their own device to any or all of the displays in the room. Students can also share their work by connecting their device to one of the 10 workstation monitors via HDMI or USB.
Specifically, the Learning Studio includes:
- 85″ Planar UltraRes Ultra HD 4K Display with digital annotation capture system
- 10 student workstation-based 55″ Planar Edge-Lit LED LCD displays
- 2 Digital Projection E-Vision 4500 LED projectors with 135″ ceiling-recessed projection screens
- Crestron Digital Video Distribution/Control
- Wireless touch-pad room controller for instructor
- QSC Q-SYS Audio System with volume normalization
- 6″ ceiling speakers distributed evenly across the room for house audio
- 7 headphone jacks at each student workstation
- Ceiling-mounted WolfVision EYE-12 document camera
- Multi-format cable connections (HDMI, VGA, Apple Thunderbolt, etc.)
- UHD DVD/Blu-Ray player
- Listen Technologies LS-16 Assistive Listening System
- Wireless subnet for enhanced wireless connectivity
- Power and Ethernet at each student workstation
- Wyse thin client with Windows 7 at each student workstation
- 70 Dell Latitude 3440 laptops
- I>Clicker receiver to support the use of i>Clicker audience response system devices
Policies and Best Practices
Getting into the Learning Studio Accordion Closed
All instructors who teach in the Learning Studio must have their own ID card for access to the room. Before the first day of classes, please ensure that you have a current NAU ID card that works with the Learning Studio card readers.
Please call 523-2173 if the classroom is locked at your scheduled time.
Technology training and support Accordion Closed
If you need any equipment or software that is not already in the Learning Studio, please notify us at least 4 weeks before the start of the semester, so we have time to evaluate your request and determine how best to meet your need.
We provide training to all instructors using the Learning Studio for the first time. Please call Andrew See at 928-523-9229 or email library.AskUs@nau.edu to schedule your training. Refresher training is also available, as well as customized training focused on a particular function.
There are two attendance readers in the classroom, just inside each door. If you wish to use them for your classes,
please contact Larry Macphee at the e-Learning Center at 928-523-9406 or email Larry.Macphee@nau.edu for more information.
Room safety and maintenance Accordion Closed
The maximum class size is 22 people.
Please treat all equipment in the classroom gently. Cables and other small parts damage easily; please ask your students to handle them with care.
Please don’t use tacks, nails, clear tape, or other unapproved adhesives to attach anything to surfaces in the classroom or elsewhere in the library. We can provide blue masking tape for this purpose upon request.
Please help us make sure the room is ready for the next class by observing the following guidelines:
- If you or your students have moved any furniture outside of the classroom, please return it to the room before
- Please ask your students to place trash in the trash cans outside the classroom when they leave.
- When students use the laptops, please ask them to shut the laptops down and put them on the carts as they
leave class. Doing so will ensure that student accounts are secured and laptops are fully charged for the next
- When students use the writeable glass, please ask them to wipe it off before they leave.
Food, beverages, and catering Accordion Closed
Food and beverages are allowed in the Learning Studio. You may decide to restrict food and beverages for your students during your class time.
Catering must be approved prior to your session date. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will work with your group and Sodexo to coordinate table arrangements and setup and clean up times. All groups are responsible for abiding by Dining Services policies, cleanup responsibilities, and return of catering equipment.