Since 2007, Campus Living has recruited Welcome Jacks to provide valuable assistance during the fall first-year move in. Importantly, Welcome Jacks are volunteer students or Flagstaff community members who:
- Welcome new Lumberjacks to first-year campus living communities
- Help community members and their guests unload vehicles and take items to living spaces
- Create a welcoming and vibrant experience for everyone
- Earn service hours for themselves and/or their organization
For this role, Welcome Jacks receive training so that they are well-equipped to help during fall move in!
Volunteer sign-up for fall move-in began July 27, 2023. Use the housing portal to sign up for volunteer shift(s). Our priority sign-up date is August 15. Early sign-up aids in finalizing shift schedules and clear communication with volunteers.
Student Perks Accordion Closed
Student volunteers who are living in NAU-managed campus housing are allowed to move in early on Monday, August 21, 2023. Early move-in charges will be waived upon fulfillment of Welcome Jack responsibilities. Additionally, volunteers will get:
- A free Welcome Jacks t-shirt for their shift
- A letter verifying service hours
Welcome Jack Training Sessions Accordion Closed
Welcome Jack volunteers must attend one mandatory training session. The sign up form will allow volunteers to indicate training session preference and participation with a named partner group.
- Monday, August 21 from 5:00-6:00pm in Prochnow Auditorium on the NAU Flagstaff Campus
Note: there will be a special training session for participants in The Edge Leadership experience on Wednesday, August 23 from 2:00-3:00pm in DuBois, Aspen rooms ABC on the NAU Flagstaff Campus. Additionally a session for Swim & Dive is arranged for Wednesday, August 23 from 5:00-6:00pm in the San Francisco Parking Garage (North Entrance).
Welcome Jack Volunteer Shifts Accordion Closed
Volunteers will select at least one work shift (maximum of six) from the following options.
- Tuesday, August 22 from 7:45am-11:45am
- Tuesday, August 22 from 11:30am-3:30pm
- Tuesday, August 22 from 3:15pm-7:15pm
- Thursday, August 24 from 7:45am-11:45am
- Thursday, August 24 from 11:30am-3:30pm
- Thursday, August 24 from 3:15pm-7:15pm
- Friday, August 25 from 7:45am-11:45am
- Friday, August 25 from 11:30am-3:30pm
- Friday, August 25 from 3:15pm-7:15pm
- Saturday, August 26 from 7:45am-11:45am
- Saturday, August 26 from 11:30am-3:30pm
- Saturday, August 26 from 3:15pm-7:15pm
Note: All volunteers must wear the Welcome Jacks t-shirt during each shift so that students and their guests know who can help move their belongings.
Named large-group partners
Thank you to all volunteers who have helped make the Welcome Jacks program successful over the years! The dedication from the group leaders and the members in these specific programs is seen and appreciated. Each year they each provide over 1,200 hours of service to the Welcome Jacks program!
- The Edge Leadership Program
- Lumberjack Marching Band
- Swimming and Diving
- Biology Intensive Orientation (BIO)
If you represent a group that will have over 25 volunteers and your group would like to be a “named large-group partner,” please reach out to us at WelcomeJacks@nau.edu. If your group or organization wants to help with move-in, we encourage leaders to send the draft recruitment email below directly to members.
Draft recruitment email to student group members Accordion Closed
Hello [insert group name],
Our group is excited to volunteer as Welcome Jacks so that we can provide move-in volunteer assistance to incoming first-year NAU students! Knowing [insert group name] well, I believe that we can be a positive addition to the volunteer numbers. I would like as many members as possible to sign-up to be a Welcome Jack volunteer!
The website (https://nau.edu/campus-living/welcome-jacks/) provides details about volunteering including the sign-up link, requirements, and perks. You’ll see that our group can accrue volunteer hours! While our members must wear the Welcome Jack volunteer shirt, we can talk with incoming students about [insert group name] as we help them with their move-in. Important notes:
- Please complete your sign-up by [insert date; before August 8 is preferred]. I want you to sign up individually so that you can indicate your personal preference for your training session and volunteer shift(s).
- Ideally, each member is signing up for [insert desired number of shifts for your group] shift(s).
- In your sign-up form, please note your membership to this group and request the letter verifying service hours. This allows us as group leaders to request a final report for member participation.