Winter housing & fall closing 2023
Most communities close for winter break at 9 a.m. on Friday, Dec 15, 2023, unless designated as a winter term community. As you prepare for the end of the fall semester, please review the following details.
Important fall closing dates
- Your community will host a mandatory closing meeting between November 27 – December 3 to review important details. Specific date and time of the meeting will be communicated by your CA.
- 22-Hour Quiet Hours are in effect from December 3 at 7 p.m. – December 10 at 7 p.m. with daily courtesy hours from 5:00-7:00 p.m.
- 24-Hour Quiet Hours are in effect from December 10 at 7 p.m. – December 15 at 9 a.m. to support finals week academics.
- Winter building closure begins December 16 and extends until communities reopen on January 13 at 9 a.m.
Campus Living Community closing
Most communities close on December 15 at 9 a.m. with no access to the community over winter break.
- Please make arrangements to leave the building within 24 hours after your last final exam or by 9 a.m. on Friday if you have a Thursday exam. Note that there will be significant commencement traffic on Friday, December 15.
- You may leave your belongings in your room over the winter break; however, please remember to take valuable personal items (cell phone, laptop, chargers, eyeglasses, medicine, plants, etc.) as you will not have access to the building during that time. You do not need to turn in your key.
- Complete the “before you leave” list below.
- If you are leaving and not returning in the spring complete the Online Checkout in the housing portal , then return your key to a person at the front desk or to an on-call staff member.
- Card access will be deactivated for the duration of the break until buildings reopen in January.
Buildings that remain open during the academic year 2023-2024 winter break
The following communities will remain open for winter break. Current residents of these communities can continue to stay in their room over the break and card access will remain active. Community front desks for open buildings will be open on a modified schedule that will be posted in each building.
- Campus Heights & International Pavilion Desk
- Courtyards (Gillenwater, McDonald, Raymond)
- Honors College
- McKay Village
- Mountain View
- North District (Campbell, Morton, Taylor, Roseberry)
- Pine Ridge
- South Village
If you leave for all or part of the winter break, please be sure to complete the “Before you leave” list below to ensure your room is safe for winter weather.
Before you leave Accordion Closed
- Return any rented books to the bookstore BEFORE you leave for break.
- You may leave your belongings in your room over the winter break; however, please take valuable personal items (cell phone, laptop, chargers, eyeglasses, medicine, plants, etc.) as you will not have access to the building during the break.
- Clean your space. If you live in a suite or apartment, arrange to clean all bathrooms, tubs/showers and kitchen before leaving. It is the responsibility of all community members in the unit to clean the shared areas. Please note that if an area needs excessive cleaning, custodial staff will be brought in and the related charge will be applied to all residents of the suite or apartment.
- Clean out your refrigerator and remove all perishable items.
- Empty your trash and recycling into the large receptacles outside.
- Unplug everything in your room except your refrigerator. If you have a fish tank with a self-feeder, you may leave it plugged in.
- Turn off faucets tightly. Call work control at 928-523-4227 if it drips or if you have any other maintenance needs.
- Remove all obstructions on or around radiator/heater.
- Leave thermostat at the following settings:
- Allen/Cowden – 5
- Calderon – 3
- Campus Heights/McKay/Pine Ridge/ South Village – 64
- Gabaldon/Tinsley/Wilson -High
- Gillenwater – 70
- Honors College – 68
- McConnell – 3
- Close and lock windows and close the blinds.
- Turn off the lights and lock your door before leaving.
- If you do not plan to return to campus or are withdrawing your enrollment at NAU for the spring semester, follow the instructions on the move-out details page and learn how to avoid charges.
Staff entering rooms Accordion Closed
Facilities personnel may enter your room during break to perform basic maintenance activities. Additionally, staff who may enter rooms will ensure that your space is free of common safety hazards and policy violations. They will make sure that:
- Lights and electronics are off
- Room is empty of garbage/recycling
- Sprinkler heads and smoke detectors are operational and unobstructed. Nothing should be hanging from or near the sprinkler heads and nothing should cover or tamper the smoke detector.
- No decorative items are on the ceilings
- No candles or other prohibited items are present (like alcohol and/or alcohol bottles for someone under 21)
- Windows are closed and locked and thermostat setting is sufficient so that pipes will not freeze
Open space in your room? Accordion Closed
If there is or will be an open space in your room/unit (not including single buy-outs), please note the following:
- Staff will enter your room/unit over the winter break to clean and prepare the other half of your room for a new resident.
- Please remove all personal items off the vacant bed, dresser and desk, off the floor for carpet extraction, and away from the sink.
- If your room is not prepared for a new roommate, you will be charged $50 and any excessive cleaning fees.
- If you are interested in a single buy-out for the spring semester, contact Campus.Living@nau.edu
Parking information Accordion Closed
Over winter break, there are typically alternative parking plans communicated to students with parking passes. Watch for more information from University Transit Services
Winter term classes Accordion Closed
Did you know there are hundreds of winter classes offered? Take a winter course to stay on track and keep your momentum going, or get ahead with more than 100 options to meet your Liberal Arts requirements.
Not returning for the spring semester? Accordion Closed
If you do not plan to return to campus or are withdrawing your enrollment at NAU for the spring semester, follow the instructions on the move-out details page and learn how to avoid charges.