Policy Advisory Committee
Supporting NAU’s policy agenda
The Policy Advisory Committee (the “PAC”) advises on matters of University Policy formulation, content, drafting, and compliance, and promotes best practices for the development, implementation, revision, organization, dissemination, and archiving of University Policy promulgated by the appropriate authority. Its members are nominated by NAU’s senior executives and are appointed by the President. The Policy Coordinator directs the committee’s work and provides staffing support.
PAC members also serve as policy liaisons who act as key advisors, facilitators, and coordinators for University Policy-related matters originating from, or related to, their respective areas. The Office of General Counsel provides legal support. Responsibility for compliance resides with each policy’s Responsible Executive(s) and Responsible Office(s), the affected constituencies or stakeholder, and the NAU community at large. Responsible Executives and Offices must also provide appropriate policy-related training opportunities and ensure good policy awareness across campus.
The mission of the Policy Advisory Committee is to ensure that:
- there is a clear process for proposing, approving, and revising policies
- policies can be quickly accessed via a centralized online repository
- policies are formatted in a consistent manner, to the extent practicable
- university authorities drafting or revising a policy are supported
- policy writers are empowered with effective policy drafting tools
- policies are written clearly in plain language suitable for a broad audience
- the campus community can provide input on new or revised polices
- duplicative or erroneous policy documents are removed from circulation
- conflicts or inconsistencies between policies are eliminated
- policies recommended by external guidance are in place and current
- policies comply with superior authorities and are consistent with objectives
- policies impose the minimum burden of time, resources, and complexity
- policies are kept current with superseded versions properly archived
All University Policies must support NAU’s mission and goals, promote consistency and transparency, manage or mitigate risk, and provide clear guidance for the conduct of University’s affairs.