NAU complies with many external mandates
Northern Arizona University’s policies exist within a hierarchy of federal, state, and local law, statutes, regulations, and Arizona Board of Regents (“ABOR”) policy directives. Some ABOR policies directly control the University’s functions. Other ABOR policies authorize NAU to adopt university-level policies to guide its internal management and affairs. This legal hierarchy is as follows:
- Federal law, statutes, and regulations
- State and local law, statutes, and regulations
- Arizona Board of Regents policies and procedures
- University-level policies and procedures
- Unit-Level (department, college, or office) policies and procedures
NAU’s policies must comply with all applicable superior authorities, including federal and state statutes and judicial precedents (decisional law), and the United States Constitution. If a conflict or inconsistency arises between an ABOR policy and any University Policy or Unit-Level Policy, the ABOR policy will govern. If a conflict or inconsistency arises between a University Policy and a Unit-Level Policy, the University Policy will govern.