Departmental scholarship opportunities
Financial aid options available to students within Educational Specialties
The Department of Educational Specialties has a limited amount of Graduate Assistantships and Tuition Waivers for qualified graduate students in a degree-seeking program. The Educational Specialties department houses programs for Special Education, Educational Technology, Career and Technical Education and Bilingual/Multicultural Education.
- Any College of Education graduate student may apply for a Graduate Assistantship in our department, but only Educational Specialties students may apply for a tuition waiver in our department.
- If you are an Educational Specialties student and apply for a Graduate Assistantship, you will automatically be considered for a tuition waiver if you are not selected for a GA position.
- A Graduate Assistantship includes a full tuition waiver that covers both in-state and out-of-state tuition. Graduate Assistantship applicants must attach a current resume or CV.
- Tuition waiver applicants must attach current unofficial transcripts.
- Departmental tuition waivers cover in-state tuition portion for in-state applicants and out-of-state tuition portion for out-of-state/International applicants. Out-of-state/International applicants that receive a waiver will still be responsible for the in-state portion of their tuition. Out-of-state/International applicants that have their out-of-state tuition waived through another program will be ineligible to receive a tuition waiver.
- All waiver recipients (either through GA or tuition waiver) will still be responsible for student fees. Waivers cover tuition portion only.
To qualify for a Graduate Assistantship (GA), you need to:
- be enrolled full time (9 units) and making satisfactory academic progress in any relevant graduate program
- able to work 20 hrs. per week to fulfill the GA assignment
- have no additional employment at NAU
To qualify for a tuition waiver, you need to:
- be enrolled full time (9 units) and making satisfactory academic progress in one of the Educational Specialties graduate programs
- not be funded by an agency that covers tuition costs
- applicants may be either an in-state, out-of-state, or international student (we have limited out-of-state/international tuition waivers)
Applications are accepted via email to Eiko Garcia, or in person to our office in Room 106, Eastburn Education Building.
Graduate assistant and tuition waiver applications are now available and being accepted for the 2019-2020 academic year. We have a limited number of open graduate assistant positions and will be filled as we receive qualified applicants until all positions are filled. Tuition waiver applications will be accepted until May 15, 2019 at 5:00pm. They will be awarded by committee shortly after applications are closed and all applicants will be notified of their status prior to June 1, 2019. Any Educational Specialties student that applies for a graduate assistantship will automatically be submitted for a tuition waiver if no GA position is offered to them.
College of Education scholarships
For a complete list of available scholarships, please visit our scholarships page.
NAU Foundation student scholarships
The NAU Foundation’s vision is to develop a culture of philanthropy to meet the needs of Northern Arizona University in its pursuit of excellence in education, research, and public outreach. One of the ways the Foundation meets this mission is through student scholarships. Find information on our website.
Federal TEACH Grant
The Federal TEACH Grant is available for students in a qualified undergraduate or graduate degree program in a high need field or as a “highly-qualified” teacher at a low-income school or educational service agency.
NAU scholarships and waivers
Northern Arizona University awards scholarships based on academic merit, financial need and personal background. Scholarships are financial aid awards that do not have to be repaid. See the scholarship and waiver options by visiting the NAU Scholarships and Waivers page.