English as a Second Language Endorsement - Arizona Department of Education, Endorsement
After you have completed the appropriate courses, you can obtain the endorsement by applying directly to the Arizona Department of Education. Individuals who have the Arizona Bilingual Education Endorsement are also approved to teach English as a second language.
Career Tab Open
University Requirements Tab Closed
Overview Tab Closed
Details Tab Closed
Campus Availability Tab Closed
Career Accordion Open
What Can I Do with a English as a Second Language Endorsement - Arizona Department of Education, Endorsement?
Please be aware that to receive this endorsement, you must also be certified to teach elementary, secondary, or special education; the endorsement alone does not certify you to teach in Arizona.
University Requirements Accordion Closed
- After you have completed the appropriate courses, you can obtain the endorsement by applying directly to the Arizona Department of Education. Please be aware that to receive an endorsement, you must also be certified to teach elementary, secondary, or special education; the endorsement alone does not certify you to teach in Arizona. Please note that all endorsements are granted through the Arizona Department of Education.
Visit the Arizona Department of Education page for Educator Certification for more information and access to the applications for endorsements: http://www.azed.gov/educator-certification/certificate-requirement/endorsements/
Overview Accordion Closed
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
|Minimum Units for Completion||21|
|Arizona Certification/Endorsement||Prepares student for Arizona Certification and/or Endorsement.|
|Student Teaching/Supervised Teaching||Optional|
Details Accordion Closed
Arizona Endorsement Requirements
Take the following 21 units:
The practicum experience may be waived by documenting two years of certified teaching experience in a bilingual setting.
Your second-language learning experience must be documented by one of the following means:
- 6 units of coursework in a single language, or equivalent, verified by the department of language, education, or English at an accredited institution
- Completion of intensive language training by the Peace Corps, the Foreign Service, or the Defense Language Institute
- A passing score on the Arizona Classroom Spanish Proficiency Exam approved by the State Board of Education
- A passing score on the Navajo Language Test
- Placement by the language department of an accredited institution in a third-semester level
- Placement at level one - intermediate/low (or more advanced score) on the Oral Proficiency interview, verified by the American Council for the Teaching of Foreign Languages
- Verification of proficiency in an American Indian language, signed by an official designated by the appropriate tribe