First Scholars FAQ
Helpful information for students applying for the First Scholars program
Please review the frequently asked questions below, for a better understanding of the program.
Do I have to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and if so, by when? Accordion Closed
- Your FAFSAshould be completed and submitted by November 15th, (NAU’s priority deadline), to ensure you receive the most funding possible.
- To qualify for First Scholars, you must have a complete FAFSA file by April 1.
When do I have to pay the $250 enrollment deposit? Accordion Closed
- To qualify for First Scholars, you must also pay your enrollment deposit by April 1. Visit NAU’s accept my offerpage to make your payment.
- The enrollment deposit is non-refundable after May 1st.
How does the First Scholars office communicate with students? Accordion Closed
- Our primary method of communication is through email directed to the student’s NAU email address. (NAU student emails are assigned during the admission process and are usually two or three initials followed by a series of numbers e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org).
- You can reach our offices by phone at 928-523-6980
What is expected of me as a First Scholar? Accordion Closed
- The First Scholars program is the premier first-generation program on the NAU campus. With this in mind, students take on a greater responsibility and are much more visible than most students. They are expected to be involved in campus activities, successful in the classroom and leaders at NAU.
- There are multiple events and activities that students must attend:
- New student orientation and semester retreats
- Social events each semester
- Cohort specific meetings every semester
- Optional academic success workshops
- Attend meetings with professional staff and peer mentors
- Participate in service and learning events each year
- This is a very student-involved program. We asked all students to prioritize First Scholars with other commitments.
What is the purpose or mission of the First Scholars? Accordion Closed
- First Scholars aims to improve the graduation rate of first-generation college students and prepare each scholar for a life with self-awareness, success and significance.