Changes to 2020 Supervisory Requirements
If you are supervising a graduate clinician or Clinical Fellow for purposes of ASHA certification, ASHA is implementing new supervision requirements, effective January 1, 2020.
Before serving as a clinical supervisor or CF mentor, potential supervisors will need to have a minimum of:
- Nine months of practice experience post-certification before serving as a supervisor; and
- Two hours of professional development in the area of clinical instruction or supervision post-certification
In order to determine whether you have currently met the supervisory requirements, it is possible to check your status on ASHA’s clinical verification website.
- If your status shows that you have met the requirements, nothing further needs to be done for 2020.
- If your status shows that you have not met the requirements, you will need to review acceptable course content, complete the required 2 hours of professional development, and then self-attest that you have met this one-time requirement.
- If appropriate professional development has already been acquired, it is possible to self-attest to its completion.
To self-attest that you have met the professional development requirements
- Login to your ASHA account and click “edit” to self-attest that you have met this one-time requirement.
- Explicit instructions for self-attestation are contained in this PPT.
Professional Development Possibilities
In order to support supervisors in the acquisition of required professional development:
- ASHA is offering two free CEU opportunities that will meet clinical instruction or supervision requirements. Scroll down to “Course Materials” to access the courses.
- CAPCSD offers MANY free CEUs related to supervision; instructions for access to course material is linked here.
- speechpathology.com offers CEUs in clinical instruction and supervision to members.
Please also note that ALL certificate holders will be required to obtain at least 1 of 30 CEUs in Ethics beginning with the 2020–2022 certification maintenance interval.