First Scholars Eligibility & Application
If you’re a first generation college student and wish to apply to the First Scholars program at Northern Arizona University, please review the criteria information for a better understanding of the criteria and process.
Students who apply to the First Scholars program must:
- Be a first-generation student, meaning neither parent(s) or guardian(s) do not have a bachelor’s degree.
- Be a first-time freshman who has been admitted to NAU for the 2022-23 year. This includes submitting appropriate application and enrollment fees, high school transcripts, and ACT/SAT scores.
- Please note, that in the 2022-2023 academic year, the First Scholars program will pilot opening the application to rising juniors.
- Demonstrate financial need and complete the FAFSA/Free Application for Federal Student Aid online as soon as possible. You must have a complete FAFSA file at NAU by April 1.
- Be a U.S. citizen or qualified non-citizen as defined by federal law.
- Be eligible for in-state tuition.
- Be willing to fully participate in First Scholars program and activities for four-years.
Please note: Students will now have the option to not submit SAT or ACT scores. In lieu of standardized test scores, First Scholars will consider other components of the application such as quality of writing, academic performance, contribution to the community, and community college courses taken, if applicable. For applicants that would like to report their test scores they will be considered as part of the holistic review process.
Students selected to be a First Scholar must:
- Attend an NAU new student orientation, and the First Scholars Orientation, date to be determined.
- Enroll in a designated NAU 100 course for First Scholars during the fall semester.
- Participate in designated retreats, activities, workshops and service projects for four years.
- Participate in a mentoring program.
- Maintain a 2.0 GPA.
- Transition to leadership roles as an upperclassman.
- Commit to this four-year program that helps students achieve success.
Selection process and dates:
The First Scholars application for academic year 2022-23 is now closed.