Communication, Master of Arts
Our MA in Communication includes two emphases: Communication General and Documentary Studies.
With a Communication General emphasis, you’ll prepare for a career in higher education, government, business, or community service. Our faculty expertise includes environmental communication, political communication, health communication, media studies, and gender and culture studies. You’ll gain the skills to solve complex issues in our complex world.
Working closely with a faculty mentor, you can design a degree program that suits your professional interests and needs. You’ll conduct and present independent research and become proficient in writing, critical thinking, reasoning, and presentation and defense of ideas—and you’ll emerge with the abilities of a communication expert.
If film is your passion, our Documentary Studies emphasis immerses you into the world of cutting-edge multimedia journalism, nonfiction storytelling. You’ll graduate ready to create your own media business or continue on to a PhD program in cinema and media studies.
- Traditional Online
We review applications twice each year (in the fall and spring semesters) for admission for the next regular semester (spring and fall).
The MA in Communication application deadlines:
For spring 2020 admission: all materials DUE by October 1, 2019
For fall 2020 admission:
- Preferential deadline for admission and a Graduate Teaching Assistantship: All materials DUE by February 1, 2020
- Final deadline for admission and a Graduate Teaching Assistantship: All materials DUE by March 15, 2020
- General application (non-GTA) preferential deadline: All materials DUE by March 1, 2020
- General application (non-GTA) final deadline: All materials DUE by April 15, 2020
Applicants who meet the preferential deadlines will be given early consideration and prioritization. Applicants who meet the preferential deadline but who are not admitted or offered a GTA position after the preferential pool is assessed will be considered again in the context of the full pool of applicants.
Graduate Certificate in Communication Studies application deadlines:
- For Spring 2020 admission: All materials DUE by October 1, 2019
- For Fall 2020 admission: All materials DUE by July 1, 2020
Graduate Certificate in Science Communication application deadlines:
Please contact Peter Friederici at Peter.Friederici@nau.edu
Be aware that all application materials are due by these dates. If you have questions about the program or the application process, contact email us.