NAU Public Speaking Lab
Effective oral communication is considered an essential skill that students should master while attending NAU. The spoken word in the hands of an effective speaker has potential powers that range from simply informing audiences to paying tribute to a valued individual or moving entire audiences to action. By learning the foundations of public speaking, students will develop both personally and professionally. Ultimately, public speaking is a skill that has to be honed to achieve mastery, and the Public Speaking Lab (PSL North) provides students with an opportunity to receive feedback and practice. In addition to the opportunity to enroll in a public speaking class and take other Liberal Studies courses with an oral communication emphasis, the PSL serves as a dedicated space to allow for students to receive one-on-one coaching, practice, and mentoring with supportive, non-judgmental feedback with a trained professional.
PSL faculty and mentors
A team of CST faculty members and peer mentors will be available to work with students. The mentors will be friendly, approachable, and specifically trained to coach students with any facet of public speaking needed.
Students will receive one-on-one feedback about their speeches from trained Public Speaking Lab Mentors and communication faculty members. The PSL will offer:
- one-on-one or group consultation with either a peer mentor or CST professor
- a friendly, judgment-free environment designed to help you relax and do your best work
- professional, experienced coaching and feedback
- time commitment from 15 minutes to an hour
- follow-up appointments encouraged
- development of better oral communication skills
Assistance available the lab
Students can request help with the following activities:
- preparing to give a speech
- selecting and preparing a topic
- rehearsing and delivering a speech or presentation
- recording and playing back video, so you can see how you’re doing
- preparing your speaking outline
- assisting you in analyzing your audience and presentation
- preparing for small group presentations
- preparing conference presentations
- addressing speech anxiety and developing skills for overcoming it
- assisting with difficulties in giving speeches and presentation
Schedule an appointment
PSL team members are available for 15-30 minute appointments. When scheduling your appointment online, be sure to provide as much detail as possible, to maximize your time in the Lab. Appointments can be scheduled via the appointment planner.
Please note that due to COVID, all appointments will be scheduled over Zoom.