Requirements Accordion Open
A minor is earned in conjunction with a bachelor's degree.
To receive a minor (18 to 24 units) at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject matter areas with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0. At least 12 units of the minor must be unique to that minor and not applied to any other minor.
Overview Accordion Closed
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
Please note that students may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
No more than 50% of the units used to satisfy minor requirements may be used to satisfy major requirements.
|Minimum Units for Completion||18|
The Minor in Photography combines the practice of creating images digitally or on film through industry-based software and exposure to studio lighting and on-location field instruction.
Coursework provides students a theoretical and technical sequence of instruction to professionally create, print and display photographic work; work in varied lighting situations; critically analyze photographic art; and experience Field location or Studio courses.
Photography minor graduates will leave this program with exposure to photographic communication in corporate, conceptual and editorial industries.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate working knowledge of industry standard business practices in commercial, fine art and editorial disciplines.
- Competitively price products and services.
- Competently negotiate fees and agreements with clients.
- Handle image rights and model releases.
- Develop profitable business and marketing strategies.
- Select the best technology for each photographic project.
- Produce photographic work that is consistent with high professional standards.
- Solve creative and technical problems that include project parameters and modeled client expectations.
- Make creative decisions that optimize conceptual impact, cohesiveness and memorability of created images.
- Demonstrate working knowledge of metering, lighting ratios, color compensation and digital workflow.
- Create works in a variety of lighting situations including: available light; studio lighting, both electronic and continuous; and location lighting. This will include but not be limited to the fields of advertising, public relations and print media.
- Articulate in verbal and written form the key technical, formal, and conceptual issues in their creative work and the work of others.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the historical, political, and social context in which photographic images are created and viewed.
- Critically analyze and evaluate examples of photographic art, and revise their work based on faculty and peer critiques.
Details Accordion Closed
Take the following 18 units, with minimum GPA of 2.5:
- PHO 100, PHO 200, PHO 300, PHO 303 (12 units)
- Select from the following: (6 units)
You must maintain a grade point average of at least 2.5 for all courses required in this minor. Be aware that you may not enroll in 300- or 400-level courses in photography or graduate with a minor in photography if you don’t maintain this standard.
Students enrolled in this minor may not enroll in or pursue the following due to the number of overlapping units:
- Photography, BS
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also successfully complete. For prerequisite information, click on the course or see your advisor.