School of Communication Internships
School of Communication Internships for Course Credit
The NAU School of Communication has moved to digital form submission to streamline and track paperwork. This should help make the process easier and quicker for students.
- Procedure for getting course credit for an internship: http://bit.ly/COMinternships
- COM internship contract for students to download, fill out, and get a faculty member in their major to approve/sign: http://bit.ly/2020interncontract
- Students can now submit PDFs of their internship contract and unofficial transcripts here: http://bit.ly/COMupload
- Questions? Email the SOC Internship Coordinator – Angelé Anderfuren – @ COM_internships@nau.edu
SCHOOL OF COM STUDENTS LOOKING FOR AN INTERNSHIP
Check out our COM approved internships on Handshake, NAU’s online job and internship platform. Providers are consistently posting available internships, so check back often. Make sure that you have the skill set the internship provider wants and follow-up with them as instructed in the in the internship posting.
We encourage all COM students to find a great internship opportunity for themselves. Then you want to check with faculty in your program and the Internship Coordinator to see if the internship is eligible for credit.
If you would like credit for an internship, you need to fill out an Internship Contract, and fill it out completely. The contract needs to be signed by a faculty member in your major, and you also need to turn in an unofficial copy of your transcripts for processing.
Questions? Email: COM_internships@nau.edu
PROSPECTIVE INTERNSHIP PROVIDERS
Are you a place of employment looking to hire an intern from the School of Communication? We would love for our students to work in the community and learn more about their field. If you can offer a supervised internship experience for one of our students, we would love to talk more with you about how we can work together to make this happen!
We have all potential intern supervisors post internship opportunities in Handshake, an online job platform for all internship postings. All NAU students and alumni have access and it’s the first place we direct students when they inquire about jobs or internships.
If you have an internship opportunity for one of our students, please go to Handshake to create a user account (select ‘Employers’). Once you have been approved as an employer, you can follow these instructions to post a job or internship. A bit of advice, don’t create a posting until your employer account has been approved (we work on approving employers every business day) as it will save you time and duplication.
It’s an easy and better way to coordinate multiple jobs or internships under one provider and extend your outreach for qualified applicants.
If you have any questions as you are moving through this process, please contact email@example.com and they would be happy to talk you through it or make recommendations for content.
HOW TO FIND INTERNSHIPS IN HANDSHAKE
- Visit NAU.joinhandshake.com or download the Handshake Mobile app and sign in using your Louie login
- Click Jobs on the top menu
- Select the Internship filter (you have the option to add other filters and keywords)
- Scroll through the postings and click the name of a position to view the description
- Click Apply to fill out an application and submit your materials
If you have any questions as you are moving through this process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Make sure that you have the skill set the internship provider wants and follow-up with them as instructed in the in the internship posting.
Once you have the internship, don’t forget to complete and Internship Contract if you’d like to receive credit.