Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies: Speech Language Sciences and Technology

Learn about human communication and disorders with this degree program and earn a Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies (BIS).

In this program, you will dive into speech-language pathology or audiology through a semester of 27 credit hours in Speech Language Sciences and Technology (SST). Online and on-campus classes give you the foundation you need for a graduate degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders.

View our program goals and student outcomes. 

Interested in applying?

Why our program is different

Many undergraduate degrees in communication sciences and disorders may not fully prepare you for the reality of today’s workforce requirements. Very specialized undergraduate degrees in education can limit you in the job market.

Here, you will experience a more practical program, one that covers a broader range of studies. For example, we offer leveling courses to help prepare you for graduate work, and a Speech-Language Pathology Assistance (SLPA) certificate as a speech-language pathology assistant. If you would like to take a closer look at the specific classes offered to meet program outcomes, coursework for the SLPA certificate and the undergraduate program is detailed. Please see the NAU course catalog for current class offerings.  

Degree progression plans

Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies, Speech-Language Sciences and Technology.

Not sure if you want an emphasis in speech language sciences and technology?

We suggest you take SST 191–Communication Disorders in Literature and Media, an introductory course that covers many aspects of the profession of speech-language pathology.

The course examines communication disorders in literature and media and how this portrayal has formed society’s perception of those with communication disorders. Also, you will discuss each communication disorder from a clinical and scientific perspective. It is a good way to get your feet wet in this field, examine your own perceptions about those with communication disorders, and see if a profession in this field is the right fit.

Northern Arizona University cannot confirm whether a particular course, degree, or certificate meets requirements for professional licensure in the student's home state. The student is responsible for determining requirements for licensure in the state in which the student lives. Current contact information for the applicable licensing boards can be located here:  

Still have questions about our program?