The purpose of the Interns-to-Scholars (I2S) program is to encourage undergraduate students early in their academic careers to participate in faculty research, scholarly, or creative projects by working as paid interns. Internships across all academic disciplines offer opportunities for students to engage in “learning by doing” outside of regular coursework.
We are accepting applications for fall internships on a rolling basis and positions will remain open until filled. To view the available internships, click the “Available Internships” link to the right. To apply, click the yellow button labeled “Apply for an Interns-to-Scholars internship” to the right.
You are encouraged to review all of the positions available, even those from colleges other than your own, to find the opportunities that best align with your interests. You may apply for up to three positions and only accept one internship at a time.
Overview Accordion Open
The I2S program aims to:
- expose new undergraduates, especially but not limited to sophomores, to the activities involved in conducting research, scholarly, or creative work
- stimulate student interest in inquiry by promoting the intern’s active acquisition and/or generation of disciplinary knowledge
- facilitate the intern’s development of techniques and skills within a particular discipline
With this hands-on approach, you will learn why and how research, scholarly, or creative work is done by assisting faculty, post-docs, and graduate students on projects. You will learn such skills as how to:
- write library literature reviews
- code or retrieve data
- work in a research laboratory
- undertake techniques specific to a project or discipline
- assist with an experiment
- work in a studio
Faculty in all colleges and schools are strongly encouraged to submit requests for an undergraduate student intern.
Eligibility Accordion Closed
To qualify for an internship, students must:
- Have successfully completed one full-time semester at NAU in pursuit of their first bachelor’s degree
- International students: Check with your international adviser in CIE regarding your eligibility for employment at NAU
Priority will be given to students with less than 75 credit hours (including transfer credits) when the internship begins. Interested students should complete an Internship Application online form (only accessible during open application period).
Details Accordion Closed
The student application period for Spring 2024 will be Nov 27 – January 8th and will remain open until filled. Students may apply for up to 3 of the internship opportunities offered during the semester and can only take on one internship at a time. Visit our available internships page for more details on how to apply.
How to Apply
To view the available internships, click here.
Before you apply for an internship, make sure you:
- Review available internship opportunities
- Read the project description carefully. Do you understand the project? Do you have a strong interest in the project?
- Consider your time commitments for the semester. Will you be able to devote the required number of hours over the course of the term? How high would this internship be on your “to do” priority list?
- Read the student FAQs to get additional information about the Interns-to-Scholars program
You may apply for up to three (3) internships. For each internship, you will submit:
- Your contact information and academic status
- Your statement of interest and qualifications for a specific internship (limit to 400 words)
- List of your goals for the internship
- List of your other time commitments during the internship period
- Any additional information requested in the project description
- An unofficial transcript
Condition of internships
Interns will be paid $15.00/hour for the number of hours designated in the internship description.
Duration of internships
Internships are awarded on a academic year basis. Interns may work up to 15 hours per week for up to 30 weeks during an academic year, as specified in the faculty project description.
Number of I2S internship opportunities
A limited number of internship opportunities are available each academic semester. A student may accept only one internship per session and may receive no more than two internship awards overall.