Faculty Mentor Support
We recognize that none of the work we do to support undergraduates in research, scholarship and creative activities would be possible without our faculty mentors. OURCA provides a number of programs and grants to support those who support our students.
Faculty Research Mentor Professional Learning Grant Accordion Closed
The OURCA Faculty Research Mentor Professional Learning Grant aims to support faculty mentors through funding for research materials and services, equipment maintenance, professional development, and travel.
All faculty currently mentoring one or more students through an OURCA-funded project are eligible to apply.
The program will run as follows during fiscal year 2023:
|Semester||Call for proposals||Proposal deadline||Award Notification|
All awarded funds must be spent by June 15, 2023. Any funds not spent by this time will be forfeited.
Application Criteria: Applications will be assessed and prioritized for available funding based on the following criteria
- Potential for impact on the applicant’s research, scholarly, or creative achievement
- Degree of connection to current research, scholarly or creative activities involving undergraduate students
- Potential to positively contribute to current and future work with undergraduate students in
research, scholarly, or creative endeavors
Awards are limited to $1,000 per award for all applicants, although it is possible that awards will be made in amounts less than requested. Multiple awards to one individual in the current academic year will only be considered if there are insufficient applications to fully expend available program funds. Funds may be used to support research materials and supplies, equipment maintenance, professional development materials or registration, and travel. OURCA will coordinate the purchase/payment of approved expenditures following award notification.
- First and last name
- NAU email
- OURCA program for which you mentor (Interns-to-Scholars, Hooper Undergraduate Research Award, Urdea Award, Shuler Research Mini Grant)
- Total amount requested (up to $1,000)
- Please provide a brief description of how the professional development funds will be used. (100 word limit)
- How will these professional development funds enhance your research, scholarly, or creative activities, outcomes or impacts? (100 word limit)
- How will these professional development funds contribute to your current and future work with undergraduate students in research, scholarly, or creative endeavors? (100 word limit)
Entering Mentoring Training Accordion Closed
Coming in late Spring 2023! The Office of Undergraduate Research and Creative Activity has partnered with the Teaching and Learning Center and Research Librarians to bring the nationally recognized Entering Mentoring training to NAU. Sessions will be open to all faculty and graduate students who currently work with, or are interested in working with, undergraduates in research, scholarship, and creative activities.
Course-based Undergraduate Research Experience Faculty Development Grants Accordion Closed
Coming in Spring 2023! The Office of Undergraduate Research and Creative Activity will be opening applications in March for faculty interested in embedding research experiences into existing or new courses. Recipients will participate in a two and a half day training with CURE expert, Dr. Sara Brownell, from May 22-24, 2023, and receive subsequent support from the Teaching and Learning Center and OURCA to develop the curriculum to pilot a course-based undergraduate research experience in Spring 2024.