Master’s in Climate Science & Solutions
The Climate Science & Solutions (CSS) Professional Science Master’s program combines a foundation of climate science and sustainable systems studies with professional training and organizational skills to help graduates succeed in the growing climate industry. Meet our Faculty & Staff or check out program highlights below.
Program highlights Tab Open
Our students Tab Closed
Learning objectives Tab Closed
Financing your education Tab Closed
Program highlights Accordion Open
- Professional Science Master’s: the 18-month, non-thesis based program is designed to help students directly apply science and policy skills in organizational settings.
- Students meet with faculty, industry professionals, and a career coordinator to refine their professional interests and develop a portfolio of their applied projects.
- An international advisory board of professionals ensures the program is meeting the current needs of the growing climate industry and provides direct assistance to students in growing their professional network, securing internships and advancing in their career.
- Visit our admissions page to learn more
Our students Accordion Closed
Excellent candidates for this Professional Science Master’s program have undergraduate backgrounds in:
- Environmental Studies
- Other academic areas that are committed to learning and applying the science of climate change
Learning objectives Accordion Closed
- Understand and explain the physical nature of global climate change
- Apply national and international standards to conduct professional greenhouse gas inventories
- Evaluate the social and economic externalities of climate change
- Describe the ethical, scientific, and policy strengths and weaknesses of current and proposed mitigation and adaptation strategies
- Identify, analyze, synthesize, and communicate scientific information and uncertainties for public and professional audiences
- Participate in a professional internship and develop the professional skills needed to establish your career in the growing climate industry
This is a 36-credit program that includes five core courses (18-credits) focused on the following:
- science of climate change
- the economics of natural resources and climate change
- the science and management of greenhouse gases
- the principles of sustainable systems
- environmental discourse around climate change mitigation and adaptation
You will select electives to tailor your degree toward biological, engineering, social, policy, or economic approaches to climate solutions. In addition to 12-credits of electives, students participate in a 6-credit career development program, including a professional summer internship. Both the electives and the internship allow students to personalize their degree. For more details about specific courses and requirements, see the program of study and the academic catalog.
NAU President’s Climate Commitment
Former President Haeger signed the American College and University President’s Climate Commitment in 2007. NAU is one of the top five Summa Cum Laude signatories from a list of over 670 schools! NAU is making impressive strides towards reaching its pledge of carbon neutrality. Dive deeper into Green NAU to learn how you can get involved and help NAU become a model institution for environmental stewardship.