View research project opportunities for new grad students
Diversity and Inclusion
- Find scholarships and community resources specifically to support students from diverse backgrounds
Master’s in Geology
About 90% of past students with MS Geology degrees from NAU are employed in the areas of environmental and engineering consulting industry, energy industry, teaching and other related jobs, and federal and state agencies. The MS in Geology offers the opportunity to research sedimentary, igneous, and metamorphic rocks, along with stratigraphy, structure, volcanology, surficial processes, and water resources.
Explore research in this area
Remember, a successful graduate experience depends on finding the right program for you, and also the right advisor – a faculty member who shares and can support your research interests. You should plan to identify one or more potential faculty advisors well in advance of the application deadline, and to have at least one conversation about the match between your interests and opportunities in their lab.
- Division of Geosciences
- Past & Present Climate Change
- Tectonics & Earth’s Interior
- Sedimentary Geology
- Surface Processes
- Water Management, Policy & Science
How to apply
First, get to know our faculty! Faculty expect to receive emails from prospective students and will be happy to hear from you about your specific interests. They can also tell you more about their research and if they have space available in their labs.
Second, entry into any SES Graduate Program requires an online application through the Graduate College.
A completed application for admission will include:
- An online application for admission to the NAU Graduate College, with the required application fee;
- Transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate course work;
- Three letters of recommendation from academic or professional supervisors (download the referee form from the online application);
- A statement of your interests and goals, and your reasons for pursuing an advanced degree;
- Names of the faculty advisor(s) you have been in contact with and would like to work with;
- Submission by the January 1st application deadline.