Graduate Student Resources
For campus-wide resources available to all graduate students, including scholarships, professional development programs, and the 3 Minute Research Presentation program, see the Graduate College website.
All School of Earth & Sustainability Programs
Where Can You Get Help? Accordion Closed
If you have questions about anything to do with your degree, don’t suffer in confusion! Check out the resources below, and also feel free to reach out to any of:
Diversity and Inclusion Accordion Closed
Find scholarships and community resources specifically to support students from diverse backgrounds
Handbooks Accordion Closed
Program of Study links Accordion Closed
All PoS forms are managed by the Graduate College; a full list for each year is here. Note to MS GLG and ESP students: you can find additional guidance on completing your PoS in your Handbook.
- MS Geology: if you started in: 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020
- MS Environmental Sciences & Policy: if you started in 2018 | 2019 | 2020 SEE ALSO a large list of relevant classes
- MS Climate Science & Solutions: if you started in 2018 | 2019 | 2020
- PhD Earth Science & Environmental Sustainability: if you started in 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020
Applying for graduation Accordion Closed
See deadlines and instructions on the Graduate College website.
Preparing for and scheduling your defense and thesis submission Accordion Closed
- Carefully read through all deadlines and procedures set by the Graduate College here and review the guidelines and timelines for thesis submission in your program Handbook.
- Contact the SES Graduate Program Coordinator to verify that your desired defense time does not conflict with another SES defense.
- Work with SES Admin staff to schedule a room for your defense as far in advance as possible.
- Create a pdf file that can be emailed to the department and students that includes the following information:
- Date/day of defense
- Thesis committee chair and members
- Send announcement to: SES.Admin@nau.edu 7-10 days before your event, so it can be emailed out. INCLUDE THE TITLE of your defense IN THE BODY OF THE EMAIL as well as the pdf attachment. This will ensure that interested faculty and students hear about your project. Please cc your advisor and all committee members on the email.
- One week prior to your defense – print out and post fliers around SES. If you are not on campus to post fliers yourself, please work with the admin staff to ensure this is completed.
- At your defense, your committee will fill out Part 1 of the Thesis Defense Form and your advisor will turn it in.
- When your required thesis edits are completed, your advisor (and possibly committee members) will fill out and submit Part 2.
- You can then submit your thesis!
Forms Accordion Closed
Managed by the School:
- TA Expectations
- TA Evaluation Form
- RA Expectations
- RA Evaluation Form
- Graduate Assistants Request for Approved Leave
- PhD Written Comp Results
- PhD Oral Comp Results
Managed by the Graduate College:
Full list here.