Applications will be accepted between February 1 and March 1, 2022.
Announcements about the 2022-2023 HURA award recipients will be sent the week of April 4. All applicants will be notified no later than April 11 about the status of their proposal.
The intent of the Hooper Undergraduate Research Award (HURA) is to encourage greater participation of undergraduate students from all disciplines in research, scholarly, and creative activities supervised by a faculty mentor.
NAU undergraduates must be:
- enrolled as a full-time student in an undergraduate program for both the fall and spring semesters of the award year; and
- in good academic standing at the time of application and during the period in which the project is funded.
- The maximum award is $3,500.
- HURA recipients must register for at least one hour of academic credit in undergraduate research, independent study, field work, or another appropriate course for their HURA project each semester that they receive HURA funding.
- Compensation for student personnel is $12/hour.
- Applications will be accepted between February 1 and March 1, 2022.
- HURA notifications will be sent to all applicants the week of April 4, 2022.
HURA 101 Workshops
|Date||Time||Zoom link & password|
|February 4||5:30-6:30 pm||https://nau.zoom.us/j/88420101207
Meeting ID: 884 2010 1207
|February 18||5:30-6:30 pm||https://nau.zoom.us/j/86027920512
Meeting ID: 860 2792 0512
Guidelines & Instructions Accordion Open
You should thoroughly review the information found in the HURA and Urdea Request for Proposals (RFP) and understand all application requirements. If you are proposing a project that involves human subjects, please be sure to pay critical attention to the IRB special instructions in the RFP.
The student’s application portfolio, including the faculty mentor recommendation, is submitted using an online submission portal.
- Use the HURA Application Portfolio Template to create a single Word document that includes the project description/narrative, timeline, and resume(s).
- Use the HURA Budget Worksheet to create an Excel document outlining your budget.
- Sign in to the online submission portal using your Louie login and upload the Word and Excel documents. Additionally, you will need to provide your faculty mentor’s name and email address. An automatic request to complete a recommendation form will be emailed to the faculty mentor.
- You can log back in to the submission portal at any time to make changes to your application or check to see if your faculty recommendation has been received until March 1. It is your responsibility to ensure that your faculty mentor recommendation is submitted no later than March 1, 2022.
Application Forms Accordion Closed
The 2022-2023 application forms below should be downloaded and saved to your computer.
- HURA Application Portfolio Template (.docx) NOTE: The recommendation form, project description, timeline, references, and qualifications of applicant(s) are included in this document. The budget template must be downloaded separately.
- HURA Budget Worksheet (.xlsx)
If formatting becomes problematic on the application template, the form protection (it is not password-protected) may be removed as follows: In Word, on the Review tab, click on Protect Document, then “Restrict Formatting and Editing.” Then click on “Stop Protection.”
Proposal Tutorial Accordion Closed
If you’re interested in applying for a HURA grant, you are strongly encouraged—but not required—to complete our online tutorial available in Bb Learn with tips and advice about preparing a competitive proposal, attend one of our in-person workshops, or consult with the University Writing Commons for assistance with your application.
For 2021-22 Grant Recipients: Required Project Reports Accordion Closed
It is the responsibility of the 2021-22 HURA grant recipients to file these required project reports in a timely manner.
Interim progress report (due 90 days after commencement of the work, but no later than December 10, 2021)
- Use the interim report template provided here
- Describe and assess progress toward outcomes compared to timeline included in application
- Review (and revise) project timeline and/or budget, if warranted (HURA budget template)
- Photos of you working on your project, if available
Final report (due no later than May 6, 2022)
Submit your online final report by May 6, 2022. The report includes the following questions:
- Description extent to which the goals and objectives of the project have been achieved
- Description of the outcomes/results of the project and how they were disseminated
- Statement describing the benefits to the student of participation in the research project
- Summary of how funds were used (e.g., budget vs. actual)
- Summary of the departmental and/or other contributions to the project
- Photos of you working on your project, or presenting your results, if available
- Online self-assessment