The intent of the Urdea Research Award is to encourage interdisciplinary projects between undergraduate students from the College of Engineering, Informatics, and Applied Sciences and the College of the Environment, Forestry, and Natural Sciences in research, scholarly, and creative activities supervised by a faculty mentor.
NAU undergraduates must be:
- enrolled as a full-time student in an undergraduate program for both the fall and spring semesters of the award year; and
- in good academic standing at the time of application and during the period in which the project is funded.
- The maximum award is $5,000.
- Urdea recipients must register for at least one hour of academic credit in undergraduate research, independent study, field work, or another appropriate course for their project each semester that they receive Urdea funding.
- Compensation for student personnel is $15/hour.
- The application deadline is March 1, 2023.
- Urdea notifications will be sent to all applicants the week of April 3, 2023.
Application process Accordion Closed
Guidelines & Instructions Accordion Open
You should thoroughly review the information found in the HURA & Urdea Request for Proposals (RFP) and understand all application requirements. If you are proposing a project that involves human subjects, please be sure to pay critical attention to the IRB special instructions in the RFP.
The student’s application, including the faculty mentor recommendation, is submitted using an online submission portal.
- Use the HURA and Urdea Application Template to create a single Word document that includes the project description/narrative, timeline, and resume(s).
- Use the Urdea Budget Worksheet to create an Excel document outlining your budget.
- Sign in to the online submission portal using your Louie login and upload the Word and Excel documents. Additionally, you will need to provide your faculty mentor’s name and email address. An automatic request to complete a recommendation form will be emailed to the faculty mentor.
- You can log back in to the submission portal at any time to make changes to your application or check to see if your faculty recommendation has been received until March 1. It is your responsibility to ensure that your faculty mentor recommendation is submitted no later than February 24, 2023.
Application Forms Accordion Closed
The application forms below should be downloaded and saved to your computer. The Application and Budget forms must be combined into a single MS Word document for the mentor’s review. The faculty mentor will then complete the recommendation section of the Application and save the Word document as a PDF.
- HURA and Urdea Application Template (.docx) NOTE: The recommendation form, project description, timeline, references, and qualifications of applicant(s) are included in this document. The budget template must be downloaded separately.
- Udrea Budget Worksheet (.xlsx)
If formatting becomes problematic on the application template, the form protection (it is not password-protected) may be removed as follows: In Word, on the Review tab, click on Protect Document, then “Restrict Formatting and Editing.” Then click on “Stop Protection.” No need to put protection back on, as it will be saved as a PDF prior to submission.
Proposal Assistance Accordion Closed
If you’re interested in applying for a Urdea grant, you are strongly encouraged—but not required—to attend one of our in-person workshops or consult with the University Writing Commons for assistance with your application.
Make an appointment for 1-on-1 assistance