School of Informatics, Computing, and Cyber Systems
The School of Informatics, Computing, and Cyber Systems (SICCS) integrates a range of educational programs and interdisciplinary research. Our programs integrate computational and data sciences with engineering, natural and social sciences, arts, and business. Our faculty and academic programs combine expertise in environmental and ecological informatics, health and bioinformatics, computer science, and electrical engineering.
We offer undergraduate and graduate programs in Informatics, Electrical Engineering, and Computer Science. Our students are involved in a broad range of research and applied experiences. Explore our programs below!
Our school’s faculty, students, and staff bring interdisciplinary expertise to bear on applied and basic research problems in several emphasis areas, and in partnership with a variety of local and global partners. SICCS currently emphasizes five major areas of research.
Research Emphasis Areas Tab Open
Highlighted Research Projects Tab Closed
Highlighted Publications Tab Closed
Research Partners Tab Closed
Research Emphasis Areas Accordion Open
Highlighted Research Projects Accordion Closed
Highlighted Publications Accordion Closed
- Schmitz, Oswald J., et al. “Animals and the zoogeochemistry of the carbon cycle.” Science 362.6419 (2018): eaar3213.
- Ogle, Kiona. “Hyperactive soil microbes might weaken the terrestrial carbon sink.” Nature (2018): 32.
- Richardson, Andrew D., et al. “Ecosystem warming extends vegetation activity but heightens vulnerability to cold temperatures.” Nature 560.7718 (2018): 368.
- Buermann, Wolfgang, et al. “Widespread seasonal compensation effects of spring warming on northern plant productivity.” Nature 562.7725 (2018): 110.
- McManamay, Ryan A., et al. “US cities can manage national hydrology and biodiversity using local infrastructure policy.” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 114.36 (2017): 9581-9586.
- Lu, Xiankai, et al.“Plant acclimation to long-term high nitrogen deposition in an N-rich tropical forest.” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 115.20 (2018): 5187-5192.
Research Partners Accordion Closed
Our research is supported through collaborations with other university entities such as:
- Center for Microbial Genetics and Genomics
- Center for Ecosystem Science and Society
- School of Earth Sciences and Environmental Sustainability
- Merriam-Powell Center for Environmental Research
- Department of Physics and Applied Materials Science
Our regional research partners include:
Take a look at what’s currently happening in the world of Informatics, Computing, and Cyber Systems.
Innovative greenhouse gas detection software to help cities improve air quality
NAU scientists help chart a path to understand how Arctic vegetation is changing
NAU TV covers exciting developments in new SICCS degree programs with Director Ben Ruddell
Can open source software be gender-biased? Yes, say NAU professors who are working to eliminate gender-biased ‘bugs’
SICCS professors Igor Steinmacher and Marco Geraso are half a team that aims to identify gender bias in code, then propose ways to redesign the OSS documentation and eventually create a list of best practices for fixing gender-bias bugs in both products and processes. Read more
Inside NAU covers Dr. Andrew Richardson and PhenoCam
A new paper by Northern Arizona University professor Andrew Richardson published in the journal Scientific Data describes a vast network of digital cameras designed to capture millions of images documenting seasonal changes of vegetation across North America. The network, dubbed PhenoCam, is the result of a 10-year collaboration between Richardson, who led the effort, and scientists from the University of New Hampshire and Boston University to develop a reliable continental-scale observatory of phenological phenomena.
SICCS is looking for a Lecturer in Computer Science and Informatics
We are hiring a Lecturer in Computer Science and Informatics. Job ID: 604646 More details
SICCS is looking for a Lecturer in the area of cybersecurity
We are hiring a Lecturer in the area of cybersecurity . Job ID: 604738 More details
NAU team races to find cybersecurity solutions
SICCS is looking for Assistant/Associate/Full Professor in Cybersecurity Engineering and Electrical Engineering
We are hiring an open-rank faculty in the area of cybersecurity. Job ID: 604642 More details.