NAU’s School of Informatics, Computing, and Cyber Systems offers this unique dual-degree program
The Chongqing University of Posts and Telecommunications (CQUPT) 3+1 program is a dual degree program in Electrical Engineering between CQUPT and NAU.
CQUPT students spend the first three years receiving on-site instruction in Chongqing from NAU and CQUPT faculty, then spend their fourth year in residence at NAU. Students are awarded undergraduate degrees from both institutions upon completion of all requirements (see the Bachelor of Science in Engineering (BSE) requirements for details), and approval for graduation from both programs.
To qualify for this program, you must establish:
- score of 80 on TOEFL or the NAU English placement test or an IELTS score in the 6.0 band or higher
- proof of financial support
- a minimum 2.5 grade point average (GPA). All CQUPT courses need grades of 66 or higher to transfer (grades below this must be repeated)
Application timeline (in a student’s 3rd year)
Applying and entering this program follows the timeline below:
- complete TOEFL or NAU English placement test
- attend NAU Application Workshop
- complete online application
- submit official transcripts and Gaokao scores to NAU
- become admitted to the program
- meet with NAU Coordinator to enroll in courses
- attend Visa preparation workshop
- apply for Accelerated Master’s program, if eligible
- submit updated official transcripts to NAU after spring grades post
- attend International Orientation at NAU
- begin classes at NAU in late August
Students should apply by January 15 of their third year. Please follow the steps below to apply for admission to NAU for this program:
- Complete the application
- Please complete the application online. The application fee will be waived for all CQUPT students: please enter code ‘NAUCHINA11’ in the promotional code box on the last page of the application. Make sure to submit a copy of your passport with your application.
- Submit your official transcripts
- Send official transcripts from CQUPT and your Gaokao score (in English) by the deadline. These should be sent directly from CQUPT’s academic office to NAU.
- Submit your test scores
- Submit the results of the TOEFL, IELTS, or NAU English placement test (school code 4006). Results must come directly from the testing service.
- If you do not meet Northern Arizona University’s English proficiency requirement, you will be required to do one of the following:
- Take the English Level Placement Test upon arriving at NAU
- Enroll in Northern Arizona University’s Program in Intensive English until you pass the English proficiency requirement. This will extend your time of study at NAU.
- Provide proof of financial support
- Provide a bank statement or financial document showing the availability of the total amount of fees and expenses for bachelor’s degree students (not including summer). Proof of financial support is required for the SEVIS form I-20, the immigration form you will need to apply for a student visa. Recommended submission date is January 15. Final deadline is March 1.
3+1+1 Accelerated Bachelor/Master Program
Highly qualified students in the CQUPT 3+1 program may apply for admission to the Accelerated Bachelor/Master Program, which provides the opportunity for students to begin work on a master’s degree while completing the final year of their bachelor’s degree. Eligible CQUPT students may be able to earn a Master of Engineering in Electrical Engineering (MEngEE) in only one additional year by beginning their graduate studies early and applying 6 units of undergraduate courses at NAU towards both the bachelor’s and master’s degrees.
The following requirements must be met, in addition to general Accelerated Bachelor/Master Program requirements, to be eligible for this program:
- Students must be admitted to NAU for the 3+1 program before they can apply for the accelerated program;
- Students must have a cumulative 3.5 GPA on all NAU EE courses taught at CQUPT and the GRE is not required for CQUPT students.;
- Eligible students need to submit an updated transcript and the online graduate application by the MEngEE deadline; and
- You must apply and be admitted to the CQUPT 3+1 before you can take credits that will be used for both degrees.