Jazz Ensemble auditions
Although our auditions were originally scheduled for Thursday, August 13th in-person, we have decided to hold virtual auditions to comply with university safety protocols and to accommodate students who may not be on campus at that time.
Jazz Ensemble Auditions need to be submitted by video (private YouTube video) by Thursday, August 13th, end of day.
Audition Results will be announced by Saturday, August 15th to allow time for students to register for courses. Music will be distributed the week of August 17th with remote ensemble meetings to follow. In-person rehearsals are planned to begin the week of August 31st.
- Find the audition materials and play-along recording on the Jazz Studies Audition website. Download the packet that corresponds to your instrument.
- Record your audition video using whatever devices are available (phone, tablet, computer). Include the prescribed excerpt, It Could Happen To You, and any other requested material for lead trumpet, rhythm section, etc. Audio/video quality should be clear enough to hear the performance but will not be factored into audition results.
- Complete the fillable PDF Student Info Form.
- Upload your audition recording to YouTube to create a private video.
- Send your Student Info Form and a link to your audition recording to: Finet@nau.edu
Creating your YouTube video
Youtube is a popular online video sharing website. It’s free to use and supports computers and mobile devices. To begin, you must have a Google Gmail email account or a Youtube account. Find helpful information to guide you on Google’s website.
Go to YouTube.com and click upload. You will be instructed to create an account online. Once you are logged into Youtube, you will be able to upload a video.
How to upload videos to YouTube from your computer web browser:
- Sign into your YouTube account.
- Click on Upload at the top of the page.
- Before you start uploading the video you can chose the video privacy settings.
- Select the video you’d like to upload from your computer. You can also create a video slideshow or import a video from Google Photos.
- As the video is uploading you can edit both the basic information and the advanced settings of the video, and decide if you want to notify subscribers (if you uncheck this option no communication will be shared with your subscribers).
- Click Publish to finish uploading a public video to YouTube. If you set the video privacy setting to Private or Unlisted, just click Done to finish the upload or click Share to privately share your video.
- If you haven’t clicked Publish, your video won’t be viewable by other people. You can always publish your video at a later time in your Video Manager.
Once the upload is completed, we will send you an email to notify you that your video is done uploading and processing. You can then forward that email to friends or family for easy sharing. If you prefer not to receive notification, you can opt out by visiting your email settings.
How to set the video to private:
Uploaded videos must be set to private to prevent the general public from finding it in web search results. Find helpful information to guide you on Google’s website.
- Go to your Video Manager.
- Find the video you want to change, then click Edit.
- In the “Privacy Settings” drop-down menu, choose your setting:
- Click Save changes.
Sharing the video:
Copy the video URL from the browser toolbar and share that URL by pasting it into an email or document. The private video that you uploaded to Youtube is only visible to those who click the link that you share.
Accompaniment Track for It Could Happen To You