Follow the process for admittance to NAU’s Kitt School of Music
In order to join the Kitt School of Music, you need to be admitted to the university as well as accepted to the Kitt School of Music—which requires an audition.
To be accepted to the Kitt School of Music as a music major, minor, or private student, you must:
- Apply and be unconditionally admitted to Northern Arizona University.
- Submit a School of Music application. You may complete the form online or print/mail a paper application.
- Open and complete NAU’s Kitt School of Music online application. If you choose this option, you must download the Applicant Recommendation Form as an additional step. [NOTE: check for blocked pop-up windows]
- if you need a printed application form, please email Music@nau.edu.
- Please be aware that some Yahoo email users receive error messages about the success of their application submission. If you receive an error message, please contact the Kitt School of Music at email@example.com.
- Submit audition materials on your principal instrument or voice.
- Take the required music theory placement examination around the time of your audition day or during your orientation to the university.
- File your Free Application for Federal Student Aid FAFSA and remember to mark NAU as a recipient of that form. Incoming freshmen are encouraged to complete the FAFSA by November 15 for priority consideration of limited grant funding. Continuing, transfer, and graduate students are encouraged to complete the FAFSA by February 1.
Required placement exam
If you are admitted to the Northern Arizona University and accepted into the Kitt School of Music, you will be required to take a music theory placement examination. It is best to take this placement exam around the time of your audition. You will have an additional opportunity to take (or re-take) the exam during your orientation to the university.
Based on your exam score, you will either enroll in:
MUS 120 (Theory Preparation) or
MUS 121 (Music Theory I)
MUS 131 (Aural Skills)
If you need to brush up on your music theory before the exam, our music theory faculty have prepared a helpful guide: Undergraduate Music Theory Placement Test Information.
All incoming freshmen and transfer students are automatically considered for Kitt School of Music scholarships based on the audition. There is no separate application for these scholarships.
For full scholarship consideration, submit your audition materials on or before Saturday, March 5, 2022.
You must file your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) before you can be considered for any aid. For more information about how to apply for financial aid at NAU, please see the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid webpage.