Bringing music to the mountainside
NAU’s Kitt School of Music nurtures the talent of aspiring musicians
Northern Arizona University offers the comprehensive, competitive Kitt School of Music for students who want to pursue their passion in music. From performance to teaching and everything in between, you’ll study with talented, award-winning professors who will mentor you as you grow into the musician you want to become.
The mission of the NAU Kitt School of Music is:
- To provide an experience-based education, balanced between performance and academics, that leads to successful careers and lifelong involvement in music;
- To enrich the cultural life of the surrounding community through high-quality outreach programs, professional-caliber performances, and other collaborative opportunities;
- To cultivate an environment where discovery, creativity, and personal and professional development can flourish; and
- To value tradition yet seek innovation.
The NAU Kitt School of Music aspires to be the best comprehensive school of music in the Southwestern U.S. with a primary and historical emphasis on undergraduate music education integrated with vibrant, high-quality performance and academic programs in music at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
The NAU Kitt School of Music:
- Pursues high musical standards that optimize individual talents, abilities, and career goals.
- Provides the broad musical and academic training needed to survive and prosper in the ever-changing field of music.
- Ensures personalized and individualized student-to-faculty interaction.
- Promotes musical arts and education across the NAU campus and in the City of Flagstaff, the State of Arizona, and the Southwestern U.S., while aspiring to professional activity at the regional, national, and international levels.
- Values cultural and intellectual diversity, ethical behavior, and mutual support.
You’ll train with faculty mentors who’ve performed around the world with renowned ensembles. They remain active performers, conductors, and educators, bringing their talent and knowledge to the classroom and stage so that their students can have meaningful careers in music. Learn more about our faculty.
Many of our programs require an audition. Learn more about the application process.