Insurance questions: email ISSS
Specialized services and support
Welcome. ISSS is pleased to serve our sponsored students through our specialized services during your time here at NAU
We help facilitate:
- Serving as the main contact for sponsors and their students.
- Simplifying university processes for students and their sponsors.
- Assisting with Third Party Billing services and other financial related issues.
- Identifying and developing relationships with prospective sponsoring agencies.
- Liaison on health insurance waiver requests.
- Maintaining outstanding relationships with all current sponsoring agencies.
- Immigration status.
- Academic and Enrollment Support.
- Letters for Financial Sponsors.
Visit iNAU for all letter requests.
If you have any further questions or comments, please contact us at:
What you need to know
Financial guarantees Accordion Closed
What is a financial guarantee?
A financial support letter or financial guarantee (FSL/FG) is your financial documentation from your Sponsoring Agency/Government/Program Manager that provides proof that they will pay for your tuition and mandatory fees.
- Your financial guarantee must be valid at all times with your correct major in LOUIE. If anything does not match, your guarantee is not valid. ISSS recommends you review your financial guarantee every semester and keep a copy with you for your records.
- It is the financial guarantee holder’s responsibility to make sure your financial guarantee is valid at all times.
- You must provide ISSS at CIE with an updated copy of your FG to make sure it is applied to your LOUIE account.
- A Prospective Financial Guarantee is not valid for tuition, only admission.
Health insurance Accordion Closed
Health Insurance Waiver e-form:
- Complete the Health Insurance Waiver e-form on iNAU to request a health insurance waiver prior to the deadline EVERY semester. This waiver is typically due in the first two weeks of class.
- All health insurance documentation must be submitted to an ISSS advisor through iNAU in order to be eligible for the waiver.
All international students are required to have health insurance while enrolled in Northern Arizona University. Per NAU policy, all international students are automatically enrolled in the student health insurance plan. Students who have insurance coverage from their home government, a US employer, or through a parent’s or spouse’s US employment may be eligible for a waiver. For international students to be waived from this requirement, Campus Health Services must receive notification from the ISSS that an international student has provided proof of meeting one of the waiver requirements.
You will need to have one of the following documents:
- An Active Financial Guarantee from your Financial Sponsor for the relevant semester
- A screenshot of your health insurance policy portal (with start and end dates)
- A Verification of Health Insurance letter from your provider
Sponsored student health insurance information
Every NAU student is provided health insurance through the university plan, but if you are sponsored by an embassy/cultural mission and we have a valid proof of sponsorship, we can waive your insurance for you each semester.
Important reminders about health insurance
- In order to qualify for a waiver you must provide an updated financial guarantee (this proves your insurance is still active). If you do not have a valid financial guarantee, then you may not qualify for a waiver.
- Health insurance waivers MUST be submitted by the deadline every semester. You should plan to submit the request as early as possible every semester.
- ISSS will process two waivers at the beginning of the spring and fall semesters. ISSS is unable to process waiver requests received more than 45 days into the semester.
- Health insurance can be difficult to understand, please check with your sponsor for information about your specific insurance plan. ISSS also offers workshops on understanding health insurance in the United States.
Transcripts and verification of enrollment Accordion Closed
You must submit official transcripts and proof of enrollment to your sponsoring agency.
- ISSS will send your official transcripts at the end of each semester to your sponsoring agency. You must make sure that you have no holds in your account for the transcript to be released.
- If your sponsoring agency needs proof of change of major or that you are enrolled, please request a Verification of Enrollment from the Registrar’s office. This is the official document from the university confirming your registration.
Online and hybrid enrollment Accordion Closed
Can I take online and blended learning classes?
Every sponsor is different and may have different requirements. Before you enroll in any online or blended learning course, please check with your sponsor to see if the course is allowed.
- Please check with ISSS about immigration regulations concerning online coursework as well.
- Blended learning courses do not have any implications on your immigration status.
Please check with your sponsoring agency before enrolling in online or hybrid coursework. Your government may have rules regarding these types of courses. In many cases, they will not pay for these types of courses without getting them pre-approved.
Be aware that all international students are limited in online coursework for a full-time academic load.
Academics Accordion Closed
There are several important notes to know about your academic life here at Northern Arizona University.
- Academic progress is a requirement of your student immigration status and with your sponsoring agency. You must be making normal progress at all times or you could face immigration issues. ISSS and your academic department or advisor monitor your progress.
- Please check your NAU email frequently and respond to emails. All official email is sent through your NAU account. If you do not check, you will miss critical academic and immigration information.
Changing your major
Changes of major affect your immigration and your financial status. All major changes must be approved by your new academic department, sponsoring agency, and ISSS. Please visit your advisor and ISSS before making any changes.
Immigration Accordion Closed
Where can I find information about immigration?
Maintaining your immigration status is very important so don’t be afraid to visit ISSS for help or information.
- Each student is responsible for maintaining their immigration status at Northern Arizona University, ISSS is here to advise and help you.
- Do not take immigration advice from anyone except ISSS or immigration lawyers. We are always available to help you with questions.
- Always keep your address updated in LOUIE. Immigration regulations require students to provide an updated address in LOUIE within 10 days.
Information for sponsors
Information coming soon.