Information about Flagstaff
Explore your new surroundings
The NAU campus sits near the historic downtown of Flagstaff, a vibrant, friendly place where there are always activities to join–from outdoor hiking, running, and snowplay, to local shopping, arts, and restaurants for all tastes.
Flagstaff is a welcoming place with much to do. Find your place in the community with a few of our local events and groups.
- Flagstaff community events
- NAU events
- Flagstaff First Friday art walk
- Outdoor adventures
- Flagstaff running resources
Unless your academic department will make arrangements for you, it is your responsibility to find housing for yourself (and your family, if applicable) for the duration of your stay at the University. Helpful tips for finding off-campus housing can be found at:
- Louie’s List- NAU off-campus housing search
- Graduate Student Government housing listserv
- International House Flagstaff
- Facebook group- “NAU Student Housing-Off/On Campus”
- Flagstaff Apartment Locator– off-campus apartments
- The Standard– furnished apartments for students and non-students
- Hub– furnished apartments for students and non-students
- Fremont Station– furnished apartments for students and non-students
- Commons at Sawmill– furnished apartments available for students and non-students
- The Village at Aspen Place– unfurnished apartments
- Cort– furniture rental company
Schools and childcare
The local public school district is Flagstaff Unified School District. Which school your children will attend is typically based on where you live.
Charter Schools offer alternative education models and attendance is often available by lottery. Some include:
- BASIS Flagstaff
- Flagstaff Academy
- Flagstaff Junior Academy
- Montessori School of Flagstaff
- Mountain Charter School
- Northland Preparatory Academy
- Pine Forest School
If you have questions about schools, please contact us.