Changes to program
Maintaining your status
If you are updating your major or minor, you will need to notify ISSS to make changes to your immigration documents.
Exiting the Program in Intensive English (PIE)
Congratulations on exiting PIE. Now you need to request a new I-20 at iNAU and submit updated financial support documents according to the amounts listed on the CIE – International Admissions website.
If the financial documents used for entrance into PIE were issued within the past 6 months and demonstrate sufficient proof of support, they may be submitted with the application. If the documents have expired, please submit updated financial support documents that are no more than 6 months old.
- Your family sponsor must sign the International Undergraduate Admissions Financial Guarantee form.
- Bank statement that includes the name(s) of the family sponsor in English issued no longer than 6 months ago. The currency shown must be in liquid funds, cover at least one academic year (less if the I-20 is for a shorter period), and be available for immediate withdrawal.
Government sponsored students:
- Financial support document or guarantee from the sponsoring organization that includes validity dates through the current or upcoming semester.
Scholarships/grants or other independent funding:
- Include your scholarship/grant or other funding support document from the supporting organization for review. If the organization only covers a portion of the funding, then please submit additional financial support documents as laid out in the other categories (general, sponsored, self-sponsored).
- Self-funded students must supply a bank statement with English equivalents that include the name(s) of the applicant in Latin letters issued within the last six months. The currency shown must be in liquid funds, cover at least one academic year (less if the I-20 is for a shorter period), and be available for immediate withdrawal.
Change of major/minor
If you wish to change your major at NAU, you must complete the following four-step process:
- Discuss your situation with your academic advisor and then complete the Change of Major form from the Office of the Registrar.
- Submit form to the ISSS Front Desk or via iNAU for signature.
- Once approved, you will receive an email to pick up your signed Change of Major Form from ISSS. Once picked up, you should take it to the Office of Registrar in order for your major change to be reflected on your LOUIE portal.
- When the Office of the Registrar confirms they have processed your request, complete the Change of Major/Minor form on iNAU. A new I-20 will be issued to reflect changes to your major and you will be notified by email that your new I-20 is ready for pick-up. Minors will be recorded in SEVIS, but no new I-20 will be issued. Note: If adding a second major, please email ISSS once you have submitted the form to the Office of the Registrar to request a new I-20.
*Program students – All change of major requests from students in articulated programs must be preapproved by Asian Academic Engagement.
*Sponsored students – To request a change of major, you should communicate with your sponsor advisor and the Sponsored Student Coordinator in the ISSS before completing the above request.
Change of level/new degree program
If you have completed a degree at NAU and plan to continue at NAU in a new degree level, please communicate with CIE – International Admissions about the requirements to receive a new SEVIS document before the completion of your current program or OPT. Your admission to a new program and change of level request for a new I-20 must be submitted and processed within 60 days of your current program/OPT end date. Once you have submitted all documents requested by international graduate admissions, ISSS will process the change of level and will issue you a new I-20. Once the new I-20 has been issued, any OPT employment must end.