Internal Funding Sources
Outside of student loans, many other options exist for funding your education.
The Noyce Scholarship Accordion Closed
The Robert Noyce Teacher Scholarship Program is funded through the National Science Foundation and seeks to encourage talented science, technology, engineering, and mathematics majors and professionals to become K-12 mathematics and science teachers. This program seeks to increase the number of highly qualified K-12 teachers with strong STEM content knowledge who teach in high-need school districts.
Go to the Noyce Scholarship page for more information.
Federal TEACH Grant Accordion Closed
The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) grant program provides up to $4,000 per year in grant funds for undergraduate and graduate students who intend to teach full time in high need subject areas for at least four years at schools that serve students from low income families.
Be aware that if you receive the TEACH grant but do not fulfill the stringent requirements of the program, the amount awarded in grant money converts to a Federal Stafford Unsubsidized loan with interest (at the same rate as the federal Stafford loan) compounded from the time of the award.
Scholarships from the NAU Office of Student Financial Assistance Accordion Closed
There are several types of scholarships awarded on academic merit, financial need, and personal background.
AZ Department of Education Get SET for STEM scholarship Accordion Closed
The Arizona Department of Education wants to help teachers “Get SET for STEM!” Our Scholarships for Effective Teachers program offers Arizona educators $2,000 per year for up to three years to pursue coursework or programs that will prepare them to add a STEM area (calculus, physics, biology, etc.) or CTE Certificate and bolster their STEM teaching knowledge & skills!
NAU Foundation Scholarships Accordion Closed
Gifts from our generous donors make it possible for us to offer many NAU Foundation scholarships to Northern Arizona University students.
Ortega Scholarship Accordion Closed
Oswaldo and Rebecca Garcia Scholarship Accordion Closed
This scholarship is available to students who meet the following criteria:
- full-time student at NAU
- majoring in any CEFNS program
- good academic standing
- demonstrated financial need
- preference to students who have a Federal Work Study on campus
External Funding Sources Accordion Closed
Many external funding sources exist for science teachers and a few are listed below. We also invite you to search the web for opportunities that match your qualifications. Please let us know if you find any others we could add to this list.
- ACS— Scholarships (chemistry)
- ACS— Hach Second Career Teacher Scholarship (chemistry)
- AFCEA Educational Foundation scholarships for STEM teachers (all)
- American Association of Physics Teachers (physics)
- Harry S. Truman Scholarship Foundation (all)
- Knowles Science Teaching Foundation (all)
- NCTM — National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (mathematics)
- Society of Physics Students (SPS) Future Teacher Scholarship (physics)
- STEM Teachers for America’s Future (all)
Federal Teacher Loan Forgiveness Accordion Closed
The Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program is intended to encourage individuals to enter and continue in the teaching profession. Under this program, if you teach full-time for five complete and consecutive academic years in certain elementary and secondary schools and educational service agencies that serve low-income families, and meet other qualifications, you may be eligible for forgiveness of up to a combined total of $17,500 on your Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans and your Subsidized and Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans.
Arizona Teachers Academy at NAU Accordion Closed
Through the Teachers Academy at NAU, you can earn a degree in education leading to teacher certification and:
- receive a Teachers Academy scholarship to cover any remaining tuition and mandatory student fee balances in your account
- impact students at an Arizona public school with a teaching position, empowering you to make a positive difference
- kickstart your teaching career by receiving hands-on guidance, mentorship, and professional development opportunities