Construct for Practice (C4P)
The integrated laboratory project anticipates the design, construction and management of building mock ups that will simulate the type of construction found on a typical commercial building project. This laboratory has been designed to develop the technical, communication, collaboration and problem solving skills you’ll need as a future construction professional.
C4P+ Lab Sponsorship
You can make a meaningful impact on student learning while increasing your company’s brand awareness. Resources from the C4P+ Sponsorship will be used to continually update the tools, materials, software and curriculum needed to facilitate our “state of the industry” building laboratory. Sponsorship for $2000 includes your company banner hanging in the lab for the school year!
Contact us for more information!
Expectations Accordion Closed
As an integrated team you will be expected to:
- develop a Building Information Model that contains design, cost, and schedule elements required for the successful completion of the project
- develop a safety program that can be used to identify and mitigate hazards and train students in the elements of construction safety
- develop specifications, shop drawings, and submittal packages that comply with NAU building standards
- develop specifications and monitor procedures that can be used to measure and document construction quality on the project
- develop a cost and scheduling control system that can be used to monitor progress and predict future costs
- construct a complete commercial building mock up that meets the owner’s design requirements
- manage the project through weekly team meetings, look- ahead schedules, meeting minutes, design briefs, requests for information, and as built drawings and models
- provide weekly progress reports that document progress, construction deficiencies, and schedule and cost compliance
- provide a final report that summarizes all of the activities associated with the project and provides ideas for the improvement of future projects
- work hard, have fun, and develop your skill as a construction professional
Time & location Accordion Closed
Each of these one-hour lab classes requires three hours of contact or classroom time. Laboratories are every Wednesday (Section 002) and Friday (Section 003) during the semester from 9:00 – 11:30 AM at Building 47A on San Francisco Street in Flagstaff, AZ. Attendance is mandatory.
Seniors Accordion Closed
Seniors will act as project managers for the mock ups. You will manage project costs, project quality, and the project schedule. You will also document progress and maintain as-built drawings.
Junior Accordion Closed
Juniors will act as the project designers for the mock ups. Your focus will be information management, including the development of as-built drawings, digital models, project specifications, and submittals.
Sophomores Accordion Closed
Sophomores will act as the project builders and are responsible for constructing the mockup per the plans and specifications. In this way, three teams of students—seniors, juniors, and sophomores—will work collectively to coordinate, manage, and construct a complicated construction system.
Assessment Accordion Closed
Each project team will be graded collectively and individually. Assessment components include:
- timely submission of deliverables as required to meet deadlines
- quality, accuracy, and professionalism of deliverables
- collaboration, communication, and teamwork