Applications are Open!
- May 30th 2021 for Summer 2021
- June 26th 2021 for Fall 2021-Spring 2022
Click here to access the online application
What You Get From Our Program
- Naomi Lee, PhD
- Skyler Bourdeaux, BS
- Kaelyn Acothley, BS
- Erik Peaches. MPH
The CARE program aims to increase the number of Native American and underrepresented students (low income, disabled, etc…) in science, technology, engineering, math, and medical (STEMM) fields by engaging high school students at an earlier age (15+ years) through culturally relevant training in chemistry, biology, and healthcare fields.
RECRUITMENT OF HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS FOR SUMMER 2021 PROGRAM
Eligibility for CARE
- Low income families and underrepresented students (Black, Hispanic, Native American, disabled, etc.)
- 15+ years by June 15, 2021
*under 15 will be determined on case-by-case basis
- Students must be available for 90% of the sessions.
*prior approval for absences are required
- Interested in science, technology, engineering, math, and/or medical fields
- Parental/guardian supervision (virtual programs)
Due to the ongoing pandemic, the SUMMER 2021 program will be offered both as VIRTUAL (15-18 years old) and IN-PERSON (18+ years only) options
- All students will receive hands-on research experience and professional development (resume writing, college applications, etc.)
- All participants in good standing will receive a $1,500 stipend at the end of the summer program.
- All supplies are covered by the program.
- All programs will run for 4 weeks from July 5 – 30, 2021
- All students must be available from 9am – 4pm MST/PST. – Breaks will be provided throughout the day
- IN-PERSON students (18+ years) will learn laboratory and research techniques in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry on the NAU Flagstaff campus
- IN-PERSON students MUST have residency/lodging in the Flagstaff area – the CARE program does not provide housing
Select ONE program (we will confirm eligibility).
Summer 1 – Virtual chemistry curriculum for NEW summer students
Summer 2 – Virtual biology and health sciences for RETURNING students
IN-PERSON – for 18+ years by June 15, 2021 (new and returning)
To APPLY fill out the application below:
For more information, contact the CARE staff (use the links to send an email):
Mr. Erik Peaches, CARE Program Coordinator
Dr. Naomi Lee, CARE Program Director (or phone: (928) 523-7379)
Students can seek additional opportunities through the ACS-Project SEED website.