Art education mission & goals
The Northern Arizona University Art Education Department will prepare highly qualified professionals to serve and lead art education programs of excellence.
The Northern Arizona University Art Education Department will:
- Provide a distinctive, learner-centered undergraduate program which will be highly competitive on the regional and national levels as the result of its intellectual rigor and student faculty engagement in the arts and arts scholarship;
- Offer a distinguished teacher preparation program which reflects the strengths of its faculty; and
- Foster a culture of diversity and inclusion that encourages recruitment and retention of students.
Learning outcomes for art education students
Teacher candidates in art education should know and demonstrate:
- Visual Arts Content Knowledge (creating art, art as inquiry, and art in context)
- Professional Knowledge (elementary and secondary student development and learning)
- Instructional Planning and Management skills (pedagogy, skills and dispositions for planning)
- Professional Environment skills (skills and dispositions for practice, effect on student learning)
- Readiness for Licensure