Everything you need to create and succeed
As a ceramics major, you’ll learn traditional and avant-garde ceramic techniques and firing processes from working faculty artists with NAU’s internationally acclaimed ceramics program and facilities. Space permitting, you’ll enjoy a semi-private work area in a newly constructed, well-equipped communal studio complex.
- 24 electric pottery wheels, 36” slab roller, and 6 electric kilns
- Extruder, Spray booth, Ball mill
- Soldner clay mixer and Peter Pugger clay mixer
- Venco de-airing pug mill and ventilated glaze room
- Photo room with lightbox and backdrop
- 4 gas kilns (Geil downdraft/Car kiln downdraft/Laguna updraft/Reduction cool gas test)
- Outdoor kiln pad for atmospheric firings (salt,soda, raku)
- Wood kiln facility with Tozan, Anagama and Noborigama kiln sites, plus double catenary arch wood/wood-soda, small anagama, train, and double-wide train kilns
Occupying more than three acres on NAU’s south campus, the state-of-the-art Ceramics Complex offers the resources you need to cultivate the skills and discipline to develop a successful and sustainable career in the arts:
- a 10,833-square-foot main studio complex
- two outdoor kiln areas
- a newly built clay mixing and dry materials storage building
- a traditional Japanese tea house
Visiting Artist Program
The department’s active Visiting Artist Program hosts two to three national and international professional ceramic artists each year. By working with visiting artists, you’ll be exposed to a broad variety of techniques and approaches to working in clay.
Fall 2019 Visiting Artist: Sunkoo Yuh
Workshop Demonstration Thursday Sept. 26th – Friday Sept. 27th 10am – 4pm
Lecture Thursday Sept. 26th 4pm
Location 1919 South Lonetree RD Ceramics Complex Northern Arizona University
Free and open to the public
The Post-Baccalaureate program is for individuals who have completed a BFA degree (or equivalent) and are in transition to the next phase of their artistic career. The program provides up to 2 students a year the opportunity to develop a body of work, in order to apply for graduate school or other future goals. Contact email@example.com for more and complete the post-baccalaureate application for consideration.