Before you apply to the program
You need to complete or be in the process of completing:
- 51 credit hours of prerequisite course work
- All prerequisite courses must be completed with a minimum 3.0 GPA
Additional program requirements
You will be required to provide:
- Immunizations records for:
- Hepatitis A and B
- PPD (required yearly)
- Flu Vaccine may be required
- Current vision exam
- CPR training certification required yearly
- HIPAA compliance
- Health Insurance
- Auto Insurance
- Current Physical
- Liability Insurance
- Finger Print Clearance
- Criminal background checks are required for NAU Dental Hygiene students. A felony conviction may impact eligibility to obtain a dental hygiene license and work as a dental hygienist.
Credit equivalencies for transfer students
From outside of Arizona
Undergraduate Admissions completes transfer evaluations after you apply to the university.
- Call 928-523-5511 to speak with a consultant
- Check out the course equivalency guide
- Contact the Dental Hygiene Advisor Brianna Heisey at 928-523-2987.
Program acceptance rate
The NAU Dental Hygiene Program is a competitive program admitting approximately 30 students each year.
GPA requirements for admission
GPA is a critical factor. You may apply with a GPA of 3.0 or higher; however, the average GPA of students entering the program is 3.4 to 3.6.
Selection process factors
In addition to selecting students with a strong academic foundation, we’re looking for students who demonstrate:
- Personal and professional integrity
- Leadership abilities
- Desire to be involved in the community
We also consider:
- Proficiency in a second language
- Military experience
- Community service
- Dental or medical office experience, including:
- Work-related endeavors
NAU’s dental hygiene program does not have a waiting list. If you are not accepted into the program, you will need to reapply the next year.
If you re-apply, you must:
- re-submit the application
- re-submit your official transcripts