Social and Behavioral Sciences (SBS) scholarshipsIncrease your opportunities for success by exploring the Social and Behavioral Sciences (SBS) college-wide scholarships.
Office of Student Financial AidVisit the website for the Office of Student Financial Aid for information on university-wide scholarships, loans, and more.
NAU tuition scholarships are available for NAU students in Political Sciences
We are proud to offer departmental scholarship opportunities and departmental awards for students earning degrees in political science.
Your first step in receiving a scholarship is to apply. Please read the following information on the release of your information and fill out the appropriate application.
Release of information
By submitting the Northern Arizona University Political Science scholarship application form, you are giving your consent for the university to release your personal information to donors who will be considering you for scholarships. This includes, but is not limited to, your:
- application information (resume, letter, etc.)
- year in school
- financial need
Also, should you be selected to receive a scholarship, the donor may request updates of your progress at Northern Arizona University. This may include information such as GPA, classes taken, and financial need. Only donors seriously considering you for scholarships and approved by the Northern Arizona University Office of Student Financial Aid may have access to this information; no information will be provided to outside sources.
To apply for the these scholarships, click here.
Darin Richard Bergman Memorial Scholarship Accordion Closed
This fund is established by family and friends to honor the life and memory of Darin Richard Bergman. On Sunday, January 27, 2008, Darin, age 31, was killed by a drunk driver in a car accident in St. Croix, U. S. Virgin Islands. Before moving to St. Croix in 2007, Daren lived, worked and studied in Flagstaff, Arizona. Darin graduated from Northern Arizona University with a major in Political Science and International Affairs with a minor in Economics.
- have a declared major in Political Science or International Affairs
- maintain a minimum grade point average of 3.0
- have a class standing of junior or senior, and
- submit a letter of interest that outlines previous work or volunteer experience that relates to the improvement of human life that does not hurt the environment and/or the conservation of our natural environment; this letter should also include career goals relating to political science or international affairs with an interest in human rights and/or environmental conservation
Morey-Vaughn Award Accordion Closed
This award shall be used to defray travel living and other related expenses associated with an internship in Washington, D.C. in Senator Mark Kelly’s office. In addition to this award, Senator Mark Kelly’s office will pay interns $15 an hour. Round-trip airfare from Phoenix (or another U.S. city) to Washington, D.C. will also be covered by the College of Social & Behavioral Sciences.
- Full-time student in their sophomore or junior year, enrolled in any program of study at Northern Arizona University
- Must be in good academic standing
- Preference will be given to political science majors
- Preference will be given to students with a demonstrated financial need as determined by NAU’s Office of Student Financial Aid
This award is for one semester or summer semester. Recipients are encouraged to share their internship experience with fellow students and faculty. Award recipients may not reapply.
To apply, please provide a resume and cover letter explaining your interest in the position. If selected, you will be asked for a writing sample and will need to complete an interview with the internship coordinator in Senator Mark Kelly’s office.
For more information, contact the Internship Coordinator by phone at (928) 523.0923 or by email at Marija.Bekafigo@nau.edu.
Award monies will be dispersed at a specific point in the process.
Applicants should complete a separate internship application to Senator Kelly’s office, alongside the scholarship application. The deadline to apply to Senator Kelly’s Office is March 1st, 2023
Scholarship Deadline: March 17, 2023
Earl Shaw Memorial Scholarship Accordion Closed
This scholarship was created in honor of L. Earl Shaw, Jr., a Political Science faculty member who passed away in April 2002. Dr. Shaw had a strong belief in human potential, and he encouraged his students to strive to achieve their own greatness.
- an undergraduate or graduate student majoring in political science who has completed at least two semesters of coursework at Northern Arizona University
- a GPA of at least 2.5 (preference given to applicants with 3.0 GPA or better)
- demonstrate financial need
- submit a short description of efforts to achieve a college education and plans for completing the academic program
John M. Ostheimer Scholarship Accordion Closed
This scholarship honors the late John M. Ostheimer, an extraordinary and inspirational professor and the very first chair of the Department of Political Science.
- full-time student with a major in the Politics & International Affairs Department
- minimum 3.0 GPA
- preference given to students with demonstrated financial need as defined by Federal standards as determined but he Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid
Political Science Scholarship Accordion Closed
This scholarship, also known as the William L. Strauss award, is available to a student majoring in political science, international and political affairs, or American political studies. It is most frequently awarded to political science or American political studies majors.
- have completed two semesters at Northern Arizona University and 6 hours of POS courses
- have a good academic record
Theodore Wyckoff Scholarship Accordion Closed
This scholarship honors the memory of Theodore Wyckoff, a Political Science faculty member who passed away in 1993.
- a minimum 3.0 GPA
- be involved in extracurricular activities
- be enrolled for the following fall and spring (if only enrolled for fall, then you may only receive half the scholarship)
- study international affairs or political science with an international emphasis (American political studies majors not eligible)
Additional NAU scholarship opportunities for students seeking political sciences degrees
Visit the NAU Office of Student and Financial Aid web page for scholarship opportunities available from the university and for other financing options.
Ina Langstaff Award to Outstanding Student in International Affairs
The political science faculty members nominate students for this award based on academic performance and excellence in the field of international affairs.
John Ostheimer Award to Outstanding Graduating Senior
The political science faculty members nominate students for this award based on academic performance and excellence in their major program of political science, international affairs, or American political studies.