After the trip
Information for NAU students and faculty regarding travel expensesNorthern Arizona University students earning degrees in Political Sciences & International Affairs may have opportunities to travel for NAU related events and trainings. In order to receive reimbursement, please ensure the proper documentation is submitted.
Step 1: Who needs to complete a travel expense report?
- Anyone who needs travel expenses reimbursed
- Anyone who received a travel advance
- Anyone who uses an NAU purchasing card
Step 2: What receipts/paperwork are required?
- Travel to attend a conference: Provide the conference brochure showing any designated lodging, meals included in the conference fee and the opening and closing days of the conference. This is required for conference fees, designated lodging and meals and incidentals (M&IE).
- Mileage to/from the airport: Odometer readings are required if you are claiming more than the standard mapquest miles to Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport or the Flagstaff Airport.
- Airfare: The original passenger receipt coupon. When purchasing tickets via the internet, the confirmation or receipt must indicate the name, itinerary and that the tickets have been paid for.
- Car rental: The original itemized receipt from the car rental agency and the car rental contract.
- Prepaid fuel option - (non-NAU vehicles): A prepaid fuel option is the pre-purchase of a tank of gas and allows the traveler to return their rental vehicle back without having to replenish the tank to the original amount at the time it was rented. Refunds are not given for unused gas from the rental vehicle company. The cost effectiveness of this option is difficult to achieve and substantiate. As a result, this option is not to be used and will not be reimbursed.
- Lodging: The original itemized zero balance statement from the hotel/motel with the following information: hotel/motel name, address and phone number, the dates of lodging, daily room charges or single room rates if more than one person is occupying the room. When a processing fee is charged through use of a website, these fees are reimbursable if receipt of payment is shown along with the purpose of such payment.
- Travel advance reimbursement: If the amount of the receipts is less than the advance amount, the traveler must write a check for the amount due to the university for deposit.
Step 3: Who needs to approve a travel expense report?
- The traveler
- The authorized travel specialist
- The supervisor
- The exception to policy signer when applicable
Step 4: How will I get paid?When all receipts are obtained, and Exhibit J (expense report) is completed, forward the information to your travel specialist who will:
- Check the receipts.
- Ensure that the Exhibit J (expense report) is accurate.
- Exhibit J must reflect the amounts for a travel advance and P-card transactions.
- Check that any money due the university has been received and deposited.
- If the traveler is due money.
- An EFT or check will be cut to the traveler. If a check is cut, it will be mailed to the address selected by the travel liaison.