Understanding Federal Work-Study & NAU student wage positions
Working while attending NAU
Students will receive a paycheck every two weeks from their employer. NAU does not regulate how the money is spent, nor are funds automatically applied to students’ NAU charges.
Federal Work-Study (FWS)
FWS is an employment program available to undergraduate and graduate students who demonstrate financial need as calculated by the FAFSA. The FWS program, partially funded by the U.S. Department of Education, helps students meet their educational expenses through part-time employment.
Students who are offered FWS funding will see it on their financial aid award letter and LOUIE account. The offer for FWS is not a guarantee of a position. Please note that due to limited funding, not all students who are eligible will be offered FWS. It is recommended you submit your FAFSA early for consideration for the program, but funding is not guaranteed, even if the eligibility requirements are met.
To be eligible for FWS positions, you must:
- have a FAFSA on file for the current aid year and demonstrate financial need,
- be enrolled at least half-time for each term of employment (six credits for undergraduates; five credits for graduate students), and
- meet Satisfactory Academic Progress standards
If you are offered FWS and plan to apply for part-time employment:
- accept your FWS offer in your LOUIE account,
- create a profile on Handshake, the university’s online employment database, and
- Begin applying to jobs that interest you. Additional application information can be found on each listing.
- Students are responsible for applying for FWS jobs, our office does not place students in NAU Department.
Once you are hired:
- your supervisor will complete the online FWS hiring form,
- you will receive a paycheck every two weeks; be sure to sign up for Direct Deposit via LOUIE, and
- it is recommended to not work more than 20 hours a week
If you have submitted your FAFSA and your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and you meet all other eligibility criteria, you can be placed on the FWS waiting list. Please email Please email FederalWorkStudy@nau.edu for the waitlist and or any questions about the program.