Statistical Consulting Lab
The Statistical Consulting Lab (SCL) is located in the Adel Math Building (building 26), Room 116. Reach us via email at email@example.com.
What is the SCL?
The SCL is an internal statistical consulting service of Northern Arizona University. Staffed by statistics faculty and graduate students from the Department of Mathematics & Statistics, the service is offered without charge to clients in the university community in support of their academic research. This service is funded by the Department of Mathematics & Statistics. After reviewing the information below, be sure to review the Client’s Guide.
Helpful Statistical Consulting Lab information
Hours and staff Accordion Closed
The SCL will open for Spring 2022 on January 12th and take Zoom appointments for the following times:
- Mondays: 3:00 pm–3:50 pm
- Tuesdays: 11:10 am–12:00 pm
- Wednesdays: 3:00 pm–3:50 pm; 4:00 pm–4:50 pm
- Thursdays: 11:10 am–12:00 pm
Spring 2022 Staff
The SCL is staffed by Brent Burch, PhD, along with graduate students Hamzah Abdulrazzaq, Monan Gnangbe, Shristi Singh, Caitlyn Weinberger, and Abby Weiss.
Purpose and goals of the SCL Accordion Closed
- to enhance the quality of research carried out at Northern Arizona University
- to provide statistical advice and research assistance to academic staff and graduate students
- to enhance the statistical knowledge of research groups
- to enrich the education and training of statisticians through their involvement in statistical consulting
- to serve as a clearinghouse matching clients with statistics faculty who have the expertise to solve the client’s research problem
Assistance offered by the SCL Accordion Closed
Subject to rules and guidelines
- problem formulation
- experimental design and sample-size determination
- selection of statistical models
- advice on statistical modeling and help with interpreting output
- advice on choice of statistical software
- programming assistance with statistical analysis
- explanation of statistical content of papers in your discipline
- paragraphs on ‘statistical methods’ for grant proposals
- help with reviewer’s comments and resubmissions
Rules and guidelines Accordion Closed
Assistance is offered to academic staff and graduate students. Initial contact is usually by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make an appointment. Early contact is encouraged.
The SCL provides consulting; its staff should not be regarded as research assistants. If you need large numbers of tables, graphs, or p-values, our role is to show you how to produce them, not to produce them for you.
Statistical software expertise Accordion Closed
Staff of the SCL are available to answer questions concerning statistical packages. The number of such packages and variety of platforms is such that we cannot possibly be experts on everything. Even so, staff will endeavor to work with clients concerning questions they may have about a particular program they are using.
Preferred mode of practice Accordion Closed
Whenever possible, we prefer to collaborate rather than to prescribe. This is more beneficial to the client, much more efficient, and more rewarding for the statistical consultant (we are professionals NOT technicians).