Enrollment in Peak Performance opens April 16, 2021. The Peak Performance program and active tutoring starts June 14, 2021 and ends July 16, 2021. All student participation begins June 14.
Frequently asked questions
How does Peak Performance work? Accordion Closed
- The Peak Performance program is a flexible online summer program, designed to help freshmen whose math placement is lower than desired.
- We offer this as a free service to help our students. Peak Performance is not a requirement.
- Students will be matched with a peer Math Coach who provides academic support during the summer. Students are able to prepare for a math placement testing retake, while being paired with a peer math coach of a similar degree path.
- During weekly appointments, the math coach assesses completed homework, discusses math problems the student might need help with, and provides motivation and encouragement to help keep the student moving forward. The student and Math Coach will work together to help set up an individualized schedule that allows the student to meet their academic goals.
What is the time commitment like? Accordion Closed
We recommend all Peak Performance students to spend at least 5-6 hours weekly and stay active for at least four weeks. The important thing is to stay in contact with your math coach and keep reviewing your math skills so that you can increase your math placement.
What is the math program like? Accordion Closed
We use MyMathTest, which is a powerful online tool. MyMathTest continuously assesses student performance and activity and, using data and analytics, personalizes content to reinforce concepts that target each student’s strengths and weaknesses. MyMathTest uses adaptive learning which makes studying more efficient and individualized for each student. This ensures that students don’t spend time covering material they have already mastered and allows for students to stay on track to continue to progress and meet their goals.
At the end of the four weeks, or when the student feels prepared to do so, our participants are able to take the NAU Math Placement Test in an attempt to challenge and increase their previous placement. Additionally, students enrolled in the program will continue to have access to review for the duration of the summer, even after taking the test!
ALL NAU math placement tests must be proctored. Please go to ready to test, to learn about our online proctoring option.
Do I have to be in Flagstaff to participate? Accordion Closed
The Peak Performance program is 100% online. Students can work from home, anywhere in the United States. The only requirements are the weekly time commitment and regular access to reliable internet.
Who is eligible to enroll? Accordion Closed
- Must be admitted to NAU as an incoming freshman student AND
- Students have their math placement already and have placed below the first math class required for their major
- Peak Performance is not restricted to specific majors
If you have questions concerning the Peak Performance Summer Mathematics Bridge Program, please contact us at PeakPerformance@nau.edu.
What is the mission? Accordion Closed
To enrich the lives of freshmen by helping them create opportunities for their future. Increasing your math placement before you begin your NAU career is the most efficient way for you to take advantage of future opportunities simply because you will have fewer courses to complete before earning your degree. Your additional time and energy would be available for other pursuits that will come your way.
Who are the Math Coaches and how do I become one? Accordion Closed
Our Math Coaches are current NAU students who are trained in the math learning program. Our coaches will support and help students navigate through the math content and can help ease the transition to NAU campus life. Find out what it takes to become a Peak Performance coach and apply today.2019 Peak Performance Math Coaches
Is there help with preparing for the placement test immediately? Accordion Closed
Please visit the Math Placement website to enroll in the online Study Plan.