Peak Performance Summer 2023 is now closed. If you are interested in applying to be a Peak Performance Math Coach, check back here in August/September for more information on how to apply!
Frequently asked questions
How does Peak Performance work? Accordion Closed
- The Peak Performance program is a flexible online summer program, designed to help incoming freshmen and transfer students who are looking to refresh their math skills before the fall semester.
- We offer this as a free service to help our students. Peak Performance is not a requirement.
- Students will be matched with a peer Math Coach who provides academic support during the summer.
- Students who participate in Peak Performance AND improve their placement are eligible for reserved seats in the math class in which they place. These limited seats are in MAT 108, MAT 125, and MAT 136.
What is the time commitment like? Accordion Closed
Students gain the most when they commit to working about 2-3 hours per week. In addition to that time, students will meet weekly via Zoom for 1 hour with their Peer Math Coach who can help answer questions and keep them on track.
What is the math program like? Accordion Closed
We use MyMathTest, which is a powerful online tool. MyMathTest continuously assesses student performance and activity and, using data and analytics, personalizes content to reinforce concepts that target each student’s strengths and weaknesses. MyMathTest uses adaptive learning which makes studying more efficient and individualized for each student. This ensures that students don’t spend time covering material they have already mastered and allows for students to stay on track to continue to progress and meet their goals.
At the end of the six weeks, or when the student feels prepared to do so, those seeking to improve placement can take the NAU Math Placement Test in an attempt to challenge and increase their previous placement. Additionally, students enrolled in the program will continue to have access to review for the duration of the summer, even after taking the test!
ALL NAU math placement tests must be proctored. Please go to ready to test, to learn about our online proctoring option.
Do I have to be in Flagstaff to participate? Accordion Closed
The Peak Performance program is 100% online. Students can work from home, anywhere in the United States. The only requirements are the weekly time commitment and regular access to reliable internet.
Who is eligible to enroll? Accordion Closed
- Must be admitted to NAU as an incoming freshman student AND
- be one or more math courses behind the minimum math requirement for their degree plan.
If you have questions concerning the Peak Performance Summer Mathematics Bridge Program, please contact us at PeakPerformance@nau.edu.
What is the mission? Accordion Closed
To support student learning in mathematics and empower students to take responsibility for their future academic success. Our goal is to provide opportunities for students to improve their math placement and increase their comfort level with college-level mathematics and statistics courses.
Is there help with preparing for the placement test immediately? Accordion Closed
Please visit the Math Placement website to enroll in the online Study Plan.