Mathematics Secondary Education, Minor
University Requirements Tab Open
Overview Tab Closed
Details Tab Closed
Campus Availability Tab Closed
University Requirements Accordion Open
A minor is earned in conjunction with a bachelor's degree.
To receive a minor (18 to 24 units) at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject matter areas with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0. At least 12 units of the minor must be unique to that minor and not applied to any other minor.
Overview Accordion Closed
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
No more than 50% of the units used to satisfy minor requirements may be used to satisfy major requirements.
|Minimum Units for Completion||19|
|Highest Mathematics Required||MAT 402|
Student Learning Outcomes
- Diversity: Special Education; English Language Learner; Culture
- Implement: Inquiry/non-inquiry; Questioning; Management; Presentation Skills; Accommodation; Flexibility
- Students: Caring Empathetic Attitude; Equity-Valuing all Students; Understand Students; Value Inquiry & Hands - On Lessons
- Analysis: Analysis of Student Learning; Analysis of Student Behavior; Analysis of Student Response; Analysis of Student Engagement
- Assessment: Research; Student Misconceptions; Types of Assessment
- Basic Skills: Reading; Writing; speaking
- Legal/Ethical: Safety; Reporting Student Conduct
- Math and Science: Deep & Connected; General Content Knowledge; Nature of the Discipline; Process Standards; Syntactic knowledge; Modeling
- Pedagogical: Research; Developmental A & S Interpret & Apply Standards; Making Content Assessable; Curriculum Resources; Teaching Strategies
- Planning: Instructional Strategies; Sequencing; Learning Goals; Questioning; Assessment; Management; Unit sequencing; Metacognition; Curriculum Analysis
- Profession: Value Application of Technology; Dress Professionally; Ethical - Academic Integrity; Time Management & Responsibility; Team Player/Collaborate
- Self: Life - Long Learner; Reflective Practitioner; Flexibility & Adaptability; Open to Change; Hard Working Effective; Time Management
- Teach and Learn: Problem Solving; Metacognition Instructional Strategies; General Pedagogical Knowledge; Classroom Management
- Technology: Research; Pedagogically Appropriate
- Ability to communicate mathematics clearly
- Breadth and depth of mathematical knowledge
- Facility with mathematical reasoning
Details Accordion Closed
Take the following 19 units with a Grade of "C" or better in each course:
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.