NAU Graduate College
Travel & research grants
Travel awards provided by the NAU GSG
The Graduate Student Government awards approximately $60,000 annually to NAU graduate students traveling to present or attend conferences pertinent to their degree program. This travel money is also available to students traveling for their research, scholarship, creative activities, or career development.
Eligibility for general travel awards
NAU graduate students are eligible for one award during each academic year. The GSG accepts applications and funds travel between two time periods: September 1 to February 28 and March 1 to August 31.
When do I apply?
An application and travel must both coincide with the following funding/travel time periods:
If you are traveling between September 1 and February 28, you may only apply during that time period.
If you are traveling between March 1 and August 31, you may only apply during that time period.
The general travel award may be used for domestic or international travel. For more information, please contact the GSG representatives at GSGTravel@nau.edu.
Maximum award amounts are:
- $450 for presenting at a conference out-of-state ($300 for in-state conference)
- $300 for attending a conference out-of-state ($200 for in-state conference)
- $150 for other academic travel, including travel to conduct research, engage in professional development, deliver an invited lecture, or other applicable events
Eligibility for international travel awards
International travel awards are available for outstanding NAU graduate students traveling to a conference outside of the United States. One $1,500 award will be awarded per Fall and Spring term. Application deadlines will be November 15th and February 15th for the fall and spring terms, respectively. Award winners will be announced by December 1st and April 1st, respectively. Awards can be used for travel within the academic year.
To be eligible to apply, students:
- Must be enrolled in a program that requires research, scholarship, or creative work capstones (including, but not limited to thesis and dissertations) at the time of the conference;
- Must have a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA;
- Must have completed at least one year of their graduate program.
- Must be presenting at a conference (no workshops are considered) that is outside of the United States, Mexico, or Canada.
To apply for an NAU student travel award (United States) Accordion Closed
All applications must be submitted electronically by filling out the NAU Graduate Student Government travel award application. On September 1, 2018, applications for AY 18-19 will be accepted.
Applicants are encouraged to submit their applications as early as possible within the application/award timeframe, to provide lead time for planning and taking advantage of early bird registration fees and savings on airline tickets/hotel accommodations. Please read the instructions carefully before filling out the application form.
For an application to be considered complete, the faculty/department sponsor for the student must submit an email directly to GSGTravel@nau.edu indicating support of applicant travel. If we do not receive an emailed confirmation of faculty support by the application deadline, you will not be eligible for funding.
To apply for an NAU student travel award (International) Accordion Closed
All applications must be submitted electronically. On September 1, 2018, applications for AY 18-19 will be accepted.
- Students must submit a completed international travel award application electronically. This application includes the following:
- 400 word (maximum) statement that explains how this travel award might impact their career;
- A confidential letter of recommendation from an advisor or committee member. The advisor or committee member must submit a confidential letter of recommendation to GSGTravel@nau.edu. The advisor must expand on the progress of the student in the program and how this conference experience will help the student prepare for a career.
- Subject line should be formatted: International_StudentLastname_StudentFirstname_Recommendation
- If funded, the student also will be required to complete the following:
- A one-page narrative of their experience upon return;
- Participate in at least 2 professional development workshops within the academic year, approved and/or run by the Graduate College;
- A presentation during the Graduate Student Symposium (GSS) in the spring
Applications will be judged on the quality of the statement and value to professional development, recommendation of the advisor or faculty sponsor, monetary need, and impact of the research and conference to be attended. Graduate students receive only one travel award per academic year (defined as July 1 through June 30). Students can apply for the general travel award program if they are not chosen for the award. The student can reapply for the award the following semester if they are not awarded.
Conferences in Mexico and Canada are not eligible for the international travel award; workshops are not eligible for the international travel award.
Additional NAU Graduate College travel award details Accordion Closed
- Travel funds may only be awarded to degree-seeking graduate students;
- Travel funds may only be awarded to students in good academic standing;
- Students should email or send a description of how they benefit/will benefit from the conference attended;
- Travel funds are awarded once per academic year (however, if a student does not utilize their award, they may apply for another).
Funding may only be used to cover the following costs:
- Transportation to and from the conference or research site;
- Lodging (but not food);
- Conference/competition registration fees.
The GSG distributes awards as a reimbursement (i.e. after you have traveled and submitted acceptable receipts). You will need to work with your department’s travel specialist to receive this reimbursement. Please contact them prior to your travel to complete any paperwork (including anything required prior to travel) to receive your award. All receipts will be submitted to your department travel representative for allowable expenses.
Please Note: Students and Departments must adhere to NAU Travel Policy guidelines for proper reimbursement. If a department or student fails to submit the proper paperwork for reimbursement beyond 30 business days from the GSG, their award will be revoked.