Selling program student resources
Jobs and internships in sales
The Professional Selling Program not only provides you with the valuable classroom education to prepare you for a career in sales, but also with several resources to help you begin your career.
Search for jobs and internships that are available to students focused on sales.
Get prepared to interview for a job opportunity by signing up to participate in a mock interview held by the Career Development Office.
Have your résumé professionally reviewed before sending it off to a potential employer.
View additional information on résumé reviews.
Visit the FCB’s Career Development Office for more information on student resources.
Pathways to Professional Leadership
Attend seminars, workshops, and lectures to support your academic success, career exploration, and job search. The Professional Selling Program will host several Pathways throughout the year specifically geared towards business in sales.
View more information and a current list of upcoming Pathways.
Executive job shadow program
Spend 2-3 days with a top level sales executive to gain a firsthand experience in a sales environment.
View more information on the Executive Job Shadow Program.
- How will you Measure Your Life, by Clayton Christensen
- The Story of Ferdinand, by Munro Lead
- Ted Talk: A Rich Life with Less Stuff, by the Minimalists
- Business Advice: Recognize that there are often many paths to get where you see yourself.
- Remember to dream as well as finding happiness where you are.
- Value Selling, by Julie Thomas
- The Challenger Sale, by Matthew Dixon and Brent Adamson
- Ted Talk: The Power of Vulnerability, by Brene Brown
- Ted Talk: Tony Robbins
- Magazines: Wall Street Journal and Business Insider
- Business Advice: Utilize Career Center
- Utilize Resources
- Have an open mind: talk to as many people as possible
- Checklist Manifesto, by Atul Gawande
- Mindset, by Carol Dweck
- Ted Talk: 10 ways to have a better conversation, by Celeste Headlee
- Podcast: Leadership and Business, by William & Mary
- Tools of Titans by Tim Ferriss
- Random Walk Down Wall Street by Burton Gordon Malkiel
- The One Thing by Gary Keller
- Magazine: Fortune
- Magazine: Knowledge@Wharton – free online magazine from Wharton Business School.
- Business Advice: Mastering the basic fundamentals of any job is the key to success
- These two skills: How to use Excel and how to Sell.
- You’ll get respect from your peers by earning it
- Sales Simplified – Mike Weinberg
- Fanatical Prospecting – Jeb Blount
- The Energy Bus – Jon Gordon
- Ted Talk: Grit: The Power of Passion – Angela Duckworth
- Magazines: The Economist, Forbes, Wall Street Journal
- Business Advice: How to manage my money better in the beginning going from college to having a career.
- There will be ups and downs so find a Mentor as soon as possible to help you through those.
- Be yourself.
- Never sacrifice your brand.
- Evolve when things aren’t working; evolve faster when they are.
- Don’t be afraid to take risks!
- Favorite Books on Sales – The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People (not sales, but general business practices)
- Motivating Podcasts – Master’s In Business, Bloomberg
- Business Publications – Forbes
- One Piece of Advice – When I graduated from Baylor University in 2018, I did not know what the corporate world would have in store for me specifically in technology sales. I wish I had known that it was okay to step out of your comfort zone, ask questions to make sure you understanding what is being taught, or asking customers that next question to be able to present to them the right solutions. Mentoring has helped me succeed both personally, and professionally and networking will get you extremely far in your career.
- Favorite Books on Sales – Essentialism by Greg McKeown, Friction by Roger Dooley, Extreme ownership by Jocko Willink, The Miracle morning by Hal Elrod
- Motivating Individuals – Ivy Zelman, Zelman and associates, Barry Habib- MBS Highway, John Burns, Burns and associates
- Business Publications – Zonda, Housing Wire
- Your favorite books on sales – Understanding Michael Porter: The Essential Guide to Competition and Strategy – Joan Magretta, How to Win Friends and Influence People – Dale Carnegie, Sales Bible – Jeffrey Gitomer
- Podcasts, YouTubes, or ted talks you have found helpful and motivating – Michele Poler – 100 Days Without Fear, Which business publications do you read regularly, WSJ, CNBC App
- One piece of advice they wish they had when they started their careers – Your job/role will most likely change throughout your career. Find the right company rather than the job to start your career.