Advance your career with NAU’s Department of Educational Psychology
Northern Arizona University’s Educational Psychology department offers the following three doctoral degrees:
- Combined Counseling/School Psychology, Doctor of Philosophy
- Educational Psychology – Counseling Psychology, Doctor of Philosophy
- Educational Psychology – School Psychology, Doctor of Philosophy
Note: The doctoral programs in Educational Psychology – Counseling Psychology and Educational Psychology – School Psychology are no longer accepting new students.
Students interested in doctoral programs in psychology are encouraged to apply to the Combined Counseling/School Psychology PhD program.
The application process Accordion Closed
To find out when your application is due, visit your chosen degree’s page or review our applications deadlines table. To apply to any program above, complete these steps:
- Complete the online combined (Graduate College and Educational Psychology Department) application. The online application will ask you to provide email addresses for three individuals who will provide recommendations. We highly recommend attaining recommendations from at least two academic professors/instructors. Recommenders can also be supervisors, but should not be friends or family members. All recommendation forms must be received by the application deadline. NOTE: please be advised that your electronic recommendation form won’t be sent to your identified recommenders until your application has been submitted. Also note that we only accept the electronic recommendation forms for consideration. The online application checklist will allow you and the EPS office to monitor when recommendations are received.
- Submit official transcripts from all previous universities attended to:
Graduate College, NAU
PO Box 4125
Flagstaff, AZ 86011-4125
- (Except for the MEd in Human Relations degree) Submit an official report of scores on the General Test of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) to the Graduate College at Northern Arizona University by the application deadline and use the following codes: institution code: 4006, department code: 3403. GRE scores must be no more than 5 years old at the time of application.
- International students interested in applying to the M.Ed. Human Relations program — before applying online, please contact the NAU Graduate College for advisement at 928-523-9284 or email us.
For PhD candidates Accordion Closed
Applicant files are evaluated by faculty using an objective, multi-criteria system. Points are assigned for each applicant using the following weighted percentages associated with each criteria:
- 50% – academic aptitude for graduate study (GRE scores and GPA)
- Note: GRE Scores are valid for five years after the testing year in which you tested (July 1 – June 30).
- 20% – essay responses (autobiographical and professional interest questions)
- 5% – work related experiences (relevant paid and volunteer work)
- 10% – potential to contribute to profession and program (professional activities and letters of recommendations)
- 15% – goodness of fit to the program (areas of focus congruence, fit to College of Education mission, and professional characteristics)
Each applicant is ranked within the applicant pool after points have been assigned. Highly-ranked candidates will be invited to participate in interviews. Interviews will generally be held approximately one month after the application deadline.
The interviews will be worth 35 points (approximately 25% of the total points) and the average score from faculty interviews will be added to the overall score (file review [100 points] + interview [35 points]). Students scoring the highest on a combination of the application and interview scores will be offered admission. held during the second week of February. Approximately 5 to 7 students will be admitted in a given year for the combined doctoral program.
If you’re accepted, you must begin the program during the subsequent summer or fall semesters. If you’re unable to begin at this time, you must re-apply to the program.