This minor is a natural companion to careers in chemistry, psychology, environmental studies, genetics, science education, or perhaps even computer science and engineering. Students in other fields, including marketing, government, politics, or law, will find that biology coursework encourages critical thinking and observation skills as well as providing rich content.
Requirements Accordion Open
A minor is earned in conjunction with a bachelor's degree.
To receive a minor (18 to 24 units) at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject matter areas with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0. At least 12 units of the minor must be unique to that minor and not applied to any other minor.
Overview Accordion Closed
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
Please note that students may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
No more than 50% of the units used to satisfy minor requirements may be used to satisfy major requirements.
|Minimum Units for Completion||18|
Student Learning Outcomes
- Students will be able to communicate scientific information in written and oral form.
- Students will be able to understand the basic paradigm of scientific inquiry as it relates to biological problems.
- Students will be able to describe fundamental principles of biology e.g., the theory of evolution, the central dogma, diversity of life, and inheritance.
- Students will develop an appreciation for the interdisciplinary role of biological science as applied to their major field.
Details Accordion Closed
Take the following 18 units with a Grade of "C" or better in each course:
- BIO 181, BIO 181L, BIO 182, BIO 182L (8 units)
- Select one additional lab course from the following (2-5 units):
- (BIO 201, BIO 201L), (BIO 202, BIO 202L), (BIO 205, BIO 205L), BIO 221, BIO 222, (BIO 322, BIO 322L), (BIO 323, BIO 323L), BIO 349L, BIO 369, BIO 374, BIO 401C, BIO 411, (BIO 414, BIO 414L), BIO 415, BIO 424, BIO 426C, (BIO 427, BIO 427L), (BIO 428, BIO 428L), BIO 431, (BIO 452C, BIO 452L), (BIO 475, BIO 475L), BIO 477, BIO 478, BIO 479, BIO 488C, BIO 488L, BIO 517, (BIO 526, BIO 526L), BIO 570, BIO 571, BIO 573
Students enrolled in this minor may not enroll in or pursue the following due to the number of overlapping units:
- Biology, BS
- Biomedical Science, BS
- Exercise Physiology, BS
- Microbiology, BS
- Secondary Education - Biology, BSEd
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information, click on the course or see your advisor.