Statistical Consulting Lab
The Statistical Consulting Lab (SCL) is located in Adel Math Building (building 26), Room 137B (the back of the "Resource Room" AMB 137).
What is the SCL?
The SCL is an internal statistical consulting service of Northern Arizona University. Staffed by statistics faculty and graduate students from the Department of Mathematics & Statistics, the service is offered without charge to clients in the university community in support of their academic research. This service is funded by the School of Forestry and the Department of Mathematics & Statistics.
- Tuesday: 9:30 – 10:30am; and 3:00 – 4:00pm
- Thursday: 9:30 – 10:30am; and 2:00 – 3:00pm
- Friday: 9:30 – 10:30am
Purpose and goals of SCL
- to enhance the quality of research carried out at Northern Arizona University
- to provide statistical advice and research assistance to academic staff and graduate students
- to enhance the statistical knowledge of research groups
- to enrich the education and training of statisticians through their involvement in statistical consulting
- to serve as a clearinghouse matching clients with statistics faculty who have the expertise to solve the client's research problem
Assistance offered by SCL
- problem formulation
- experimental design and sample-size determination
- selection of statistical models
- advice on statistical modeling and help with interpreting output
- advice on choice of statistical software
- programming assistance with statistical analysis
- explanation of statistical content of papers in your discipline
- paragraphs on 'statistical methods' for grant proposals
- help with reviewer's comments and resubmissions
Rules and guidelines
Assistance is offered to academic staff and graduate students. Initial contact is usually by email to make an appointment. Early contact is encouraged.
The SCL provides consulting; its staff should not be regarded as research assistants. If you need large numbers of tables, graphs, or p-values, our role is to show you how to produce them, not to produce them for you.
Statistical software expertise
Staff of the SCL are available to answer questions concerning statistical packages. The number of such packages and variety of platforms is such that we cannot possibly be experts on everything. Even so, staff will endeavor to work with clients concerning questions they may have about a particular program they are using.
Preferred mode of practice
Whenever possible, we prefer to collaborate rather than to prescribe. This is more beneficial to the client, much more efficient, and more rewarding for the statistical consultant (we are professionals NOT technicians).
2013-2014 academic year staff
The Statistical Consulting Lab is staffed by Roy St. Laurent, PhD, and Robert Daugherty, MS.
See our Client's Guide for further details, including our location, phone number and e-mail address.